cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Be wary of BT "help line's" promises

Please don't get me wrong, the people manning the BT help lines are more than helpful and I have no doubt whatsoever that they are doing their best …. however, double check that they have done what they say they have !

My first encounter was a very pleasant and helpful young lady, the end result being "we are sending a new BT tv box".  After several days waiting in, I ring again and it's disclosed that (whilst the operator had authorised a new box), her manager hadn't actioned it so nothing was on it's way.

The second encounter was much the same as the first. After several days waiting in I phoned again and an extremely polite young man informs me that a box had been authorised but yet again it hadn't  been sent.

My third encounter could have cost me not only time waiting in but also money. Just over an hour on the phone and it was decided that a BT engineer was recommended as being the answer to my fault at a cost of £30 (but as a gesture of goodwill BT would credit my account).  Within an hour, you kind people on the community forum had resolved the problem so I phoned to cancel the engineer ….  "All done, the engineer is cancelled" I was told.

Today I think, I've been bitten twice so I'm going to check !  True to form, the engineer HADN'T been cancelled and no doubt I would have been charged the £30 for his wasted visit ! 

As I say, the operators on the BT help line are no doubt doing their best but after a day or so, double check that they have done what they say they will or it will not only cost your time waiting at home but it may also cost you money !!! 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Message 2 of 8

Re: Be wary of BT "help line's" promises

Hi PhilBC,

I'm really sorry that certainly isn't what we expect as the advisors you speak to should be doing what they are promising. I've sent you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team if you need any help getting the visit cancelled.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

May I reiterate that I am more than happy with the help the telephone advisers have given me but, as has happened three times in the last two weeks, with hindsight there are times when one should double check that they have done what they say they have done (or will do), else one could waste a considerable time (as I have) waiting in for deliveries that have not been sent and/or (in the latest case) an engineer booked who is no longer required.

I am (reasonably) confident that the pre-booked engineer has now been cancelled as I have now done it myself and (in the unlikely event that an engineer still turns up at my door) there is now sufficient proof (including on this forum) to confirm that I have cancelled the appointment as (despite what I was told) the adviser hadn't done it.

So far as I am concerned Neil, there is no need for a personal message and no need seek help in getting the visit cancelled as I think I have cancelled it together with covering all bases (asking BT twice to cancel "should", in theory, be enough) but thank you never-the-less for your kind offer .... I'm not making an issue of it and I certainly don't want an adviser investigated or reprimanded for a failure as we all make mistakes, just advising others to double check that what was promised was in fact followed through to save themselves time and money.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Hi @PhilBC, thanks for getting back to me, that's no problem I appreciate that you don't want to make a fuss but really you shouldn't have to double-check that something that has been agreed has actually been done.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Three phone calls to BT now and I'm STILL receiving emails and texts (another today) reminding me that the engineer is coming tomorrow !

I asked the help line if they would email me so I have confirmation in writing it was cancelled but "they don't have the facility to send emails" (strange for an internet service provider) !

In all honesty, I really hope he does turn up - I'll invite him in for a coffee and show him all the times/dates I have contacted BT to cancel plus, of course, this thread !!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

As expected, 9 o'clock on the dot and the BT engineer was on my doorstep !

As he said, "It happens all the time"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

e5312460.gif   LOL

A tip:  if you use the web chat line to get BT help at the end of the dialogue you can download the whole discussion so you can get a printout showing in a evidential form exactly what promises were made

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

An excellent point and I started doing this when they sent me an email to remind me to return the faulty box.

The box was returned the day after the new box arrived and I detailed everything on my "proof of postage" slip into the live chat .

I wish I had done this for the engineer's visit, but when someone says "don't worry, it's definitely cancelled" (in several phone calls) one tends to believe them !

Let's see if they try and charge me for the wasted visit ?

For a "communications" company, they don't seem to be able to communicate very well  ! 

0 Ratings