cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichieCat
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Benefit of Mini Box?

I'm a noob to BTTV and am wondering if I've misunderstood the benefit of a Youview mini box ..

I appreciate it can bring 'smart tv' functionality to an otherwise 'dumb tv' but I expected (even though I knew it couldn't record) to be able to watch recordings stored on the main box and at least be able to watch my Entertainment Package subscription channels 'live' 😩.

My second TV is already 'smart' so I'm actually better off using LG WebOS to watch Freeview and Apps incl. NowTV and save myself £5/m in the process?

Am I missing something?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Benefit of Mini Box?

If you have a Smart TV with Freeview and you're on a NowTV pack, the mini box is pretty useless as you can access the extra channels through the relevant apps. We use a Roku stick in the bedroom and it works like a charm

0 Ratings
RichieCat
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

That's what I'm thinking - if the minibox sync'd to the main box and allowed remote watching of recordings or even allowed the subscription channels to be view through the 'guide' that would be a benefit but as it stands I can do everything the mini box offers using a combination of Freeview and LG WebOs apps (and there's a Chromecast plugged in too so we're more than covered) 

I think I'll be dropping the extra box off our sub before the cooling off period ends

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

You should be able to view the subscrition channels through the EPG, though there's little point if you can use the apps on the TV.

0 Ratings
RichieCat
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

@Hunter2660 

They didn't even show in the EPG and there was no 'Subscriptions' menu in the navigation bar?

Ive just cancelled that add-on and will manage with the LG NowTv app and the others 😉

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 6 of 8

If the channels weren't showing in the EPG then it sounds like it hadn't picked up the correct config. You weren't trying to connect this one with the Google Wifi were you?
Go into Settings, Software Information, Update Software. This will check for both updates to the software, and also updates to the ISP Config. This should pick up your BT subscription and show the channels in the TV Guide.
0 Ratings
RichieCat
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

@DarrenDev 

Thanks for the reply and the continuity...

No, I did have the minibox plugged straight into the SH2 and it did an initial software update when it first booted.

If it sync'd to the main box to enable remote watching of recordings etc we mightve considered keeping it but in real terms it doesn't look like it would offer much more than the TV's inbuilt apps especially as the TV has NowTV.

I suppose it would be a good way to turn a 'dumb' TV into a 'semi-smart' TV but I think we'll just carry on with the main box for a bit

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 8 of 8

The box can take 2 updates to pick up the ISP config. You're correct that its use is limited though - the only thing it uniquely offers you is the ability to watch subscription channels from the TV guide. If your subscription is with Now TV then there's very little benefit over just using the Now TV app.

Being able to stream recordings from the main box to other devices in the home (either other boxes, or apps on TVs/mobile devices) has to be one of the most commonly requested features ever for BT TV, but it's just not possible at the moment.
0 Ratings