Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scaramonga
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Box Blew! - URGENT!

OK, what do I do now BT?

Turned on box tonight and noticed it was rather sluggish (more than normal) and also that the 'BT Player' on the remote wasn't working, as in, nothing was happening when pressed.  I powered down the box, thinking it just needs restarted, only to find the same, sluggish and a non fuctional 'BT Player' button.  I'm pretty sure there used to be a BT button in the menu?, but that was missing also, along with various other parts of the guide that I can't recall.

Suddenly the box made a sizzling noise and it was dead! No lights on front, nothing. Pulled plug and left for half an hour, plugged in, still nothing, and that's the way it remains, dead.

Checked power adapter with a multimeter to rule that out, and it reads 12.3 - 12.4v, so thats fine.

The wife ain't gonna be happy if she's without TV all weekend, and that will make me very unhappy.  She also wont be too delighted at the possible loss of all recordings either, I may as well hide!

Advise please.

P.S.

It's the latest Humax box.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Dave93
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Box Blew! - URGENT!

This is a community forum, not a fault reporting site. The box is obviously faulty and needs to be replaced. You will need to call BT or raise a fault online at BT.com. You can still watch TV normally if you connect your aerial directly to your TV, bypassing the (faulty) box.

scaramonga
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Well, excuse me for breathing. How arrogant are you!

I was also posting this here to inform others, that this inferior product, could possibly have caused a much larger problem, such as burning down my house, had I not been around.

Users need to be aware of such things, and I see no harm in posting information, regarding this box, in the correct forum supporting this equipment.

I have BT coming on Saturday now to hopefully replace the box, with one that is not a hazard, after less than two months of use, and only used 3 hours per day.

Not that you will be interested in the slightest, but just thought I'd pass it on.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 4 of 13

He wasnt being arrogant at all he was just informing you, as some people get confused about these forums. Also its a not an inferior product, there will always be a very small minority of boxes which fail.
0 Ratings
derek918
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Thank you for posting this as it could be useful to someone having the same sluggish/non-responsive problems as your box displayed.

scaramonga
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

1. I'm never confused about any forum, at 52 years of age, I'm on plenty, and been some.

2. He jumped on my back because I seemed to know what the problem was beforehand, as in, the box was dead.  Now, if I had just posted my problem with a different tone, like 'hello my box does not work with no lights', or that I get error 'YYYYYY', then that would have been fine, but no, there is always one smart alec.

3. Inferior product is inferior, and more shocking that Humax has their name on it.

4. Your most welcome derek918.

Awaiting BT this morning, and I'm ready.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 7 of 13

This is a user form, with some very helpful advice and tips offered by fellow members. Everyone here is here to help not to upset anyone.

You even started by addressing the issue with BT in your first post which is why he replied with the info.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Ok guys. Please keep it friendly.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

esh, i have both the Humax ver 1 and 2 boxes, version 1 is slow so stick with the second.

Shocked to hear that yours has blown, is unusual to hear that, hopefully BT will sort it out.

IRO the second post scaramonga, i agree with you mate, not a helpful reply.

IRO getting the recordings back, if your box is replaced like to like, they maybe able to swap hard drives but possible was the hard drive that caused part of the failure?? i am no expert here.

good luck mate and let us know how you get on.  the forum mods are great here to help as well

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
scaramonga
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thank you ComputerGeek 🙂  Nice to see some friendly kind words here.  Much appreciated.

BT came today and replaced the power supply? Although it was giving out 12v, for some reason it was not enough to power the box, and seems its a common fault with the supplies the G4 boxes have, according to engineer.  He did arrive with two packages, one was a separate power supply box, the other, a new full box package, so take from that what you will.

An arrogant man he was, similar to the one who replied in post 2.  

Moaned that my WiFi user password was 'ridiculous', as it was too long for him to type into his device, so he could do all his testing and paperwork, and asked why I was using such a 'ridiculous' network password, when 5 characters would have been enough, and informed me that I was unlikely to be 'hacked' in this area, regardless.  Huffed and puffed because I had my power supply cable routed neatly in trunking, along with other cabling, thus it made the job a little harder for him.

My wife had to go to bed to get away from it all, at 12.30pm. An irritating little man, and an experience, I certainly hope never happens again.

All seems OK now 🙂

0 Ratings