Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Speeds and TV Service

Hi all

Thinking of getting two boxes (BT multiroom) for parents and for them to go on BT infinity 38mb 

Just wanted to know if Im maxing out the download speeds on the broadband - will there be problems with

A) speed affecting normal tv type services

B) speed affecting on demand type services

i think im right in that virgin pumps in a sepearte VOD broadband speed so services arent affected when your downloading for example

Just wanted to know if BT have a similar thing in place 

Im trying to weigh up if I should go for the higher speeds or not

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
siteguru
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Speeds and TV Service

What are you going to be doing to be "maxing out the download speeds on the broadband"?

I don't think BT have any specific QoS (quality of service) configurations for the TV service via the broadband connection. (Freeview TV would be unaffected anyway).

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

What is the estimate of their speeds anyway? Try BT Availability Checker

If they get the full 38mb there really shouldn't be a problem unless they were trying to record 2 IPTV channels on both boxes simultaneously , all in HD. Even I think they'll be OK.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

My router has qos and prioritises traffic before hitting the broradband connection
0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks guys good to know that it can interfere in some way

0 Ratings