cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Bt TV box Pro and BT Home Hub 5 router

Go to solution

Hello

I need to replace my Youview set top box with the BT TV Box Pro but I am concerned that I will need to also change my BT Router which I do NOT want to do.

II am using a BT Home Hub 5 at the moment and it is working well and has done for some years

So basically I am asking will the BT TV box Pro work with a BT Home Hub 5?

I use a wired Ethernet connection so do not rely on WiFi

Thank you

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Bt TV box Pro and BT Home Hub 5 router

Go to solution

@efelstead 

Shouldn't matter what router the box connects to as long as it gets an internet connection and the modem/router supports BT's multicast transmissions as the HomeHub 5 does.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

That is great news!

I have three laptops,two desktops and three apple phones all using my present Home hub

and the last thing I want to do is have to reset all of them

Thank you Tim

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@efelsteadwrote:

I have three laptops,two desktops and three apple phones all using my present Home hub and the last thing I want to do is have to reset all of them

Changing the router doesn't necessitate a "reset" of anything.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

I am somewhat confused now but if you change the router will not the ID  change and  the computer network settings will need to be changed to connect with  the new router.

My existing router has a card in a slot which has the info to recognise the router from the list which appears in Windows Taskbar when setting  up and similarly when setting up an IPhone one needs to know the ID of the router

Being from 1940's generation I find it very difficult keeping up with the very rapid changes to technology so please advise if what i say/ask does'nt make sense

Thank you

Edward

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Two options:

You connect the old devices to the new router SSID, a one time action that doesn't require anything to be reset & shouldn't take more than a minute per device.

Slightly more complex, you change the SSID & password of the new router to match those of the HH5, then all devices will connect automatically. Proviso being that the latest Smart Hub 2 only provides a single SSID, so if your HH5 has separate SSIDs for 2.4 & 5GHZ wireless bands you can't do that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@efelstead  If using the latest software on your IPhones,  just open your camera, point at the 'card in the slot'  and the phone will say "Do you want to connect to this network"... simples, job done.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for that information.

I will get my son to look at my phone and check the software.

I am 81yrs old and I am really struggling with modern technolgy

My Youview box is starting to fail now and I have to try and install a replacement which may involve changing the router as well

So I am finding all this a real struggle

Thank you all for your help

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@efelstead 

Unless you're forced to change your router - eg going to Digital Voice - then don't. The HomeHub 5 is perfectly adequate and even if BT send you a new router just keep it boxed and continue using the HH5.

I'm from the 40s like yourself but had 30+years in systems development so none of this is an issue to me but I do understand that for many others of my generation - my neighbours are a good example - it can be seemly complicated.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Have been using my Home Hub 5 with the BT TV Pro box for 10 months now and have had no issues at all, returned the Smart Hub to BT.

0 Ratings