cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tommyrodge
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Bt UHD 4K box poor resolution (Samsung Tv)

Hi all,

Hope someone can help with this as it’s driving me mad.

just cancelled sky q, got Bt to provide internet and have purchased a 4K Bt box to watch free view on. The issue is the resolution & quality looks awful in the 4K setting, I’m not only talking about channels but the crispness of the guide & apps too? If I switch to 1080p or 1080i it’s better but still not brilliant.

I have a new Samsung TV (UE50TU7100XXU) and have tried adjusting some of the settings on that but can’t find a solution? Any help much appreciated

Tom

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Bt UHD 4K box poor resolution (Samsung Tv)

If you connect your aerial direct to your TV and use the TV’s own tuner  to view the same Freeview channels are you satisfied with picture ?

Freeview channels  are delivered via several different multiplexes from each transmitter and the quality can vary. 

The TV and the Youview box will dependent upon the supplied content and your chosen resolution settings upscale and downscale  where necessary.

0 Ratings
Tommyrodge
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the response, the quality of content is slightly better on the tv tuner, which I suppose confirms that I’m probably being picky as we have come from a satellite signal.

What concerns me is the view of the guide & software? It’s very soft and blurry? Where as the TV guide & software appears crisp & detailed?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Caher
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Did you set it to 4k in the BT box.

Also I had to upgrade my HDMI cables.

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Changing a HDMI cable will make no difference to your picture quality unless you are suffering from no picture at all, picture break-up or blocking. Many a fool has parted with their money on the con that expensive cables provide a better quaility picture. They simply do not and for example Amazon Basics cables are capable of handling anything a BT YouView 4k box can handle.

0 Ratings
Tommyrodge
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks Cather,

Yep it’s set to 4K on the box, but valid point about the hdmi, have ordered a new one. I’ll report back once it arrives.

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

If you're watching the Standard Def channels the quality on most Freeview channels is pretty ropey. The HD ones are generally very good quality though. 

0 Ratings
Tommyrodge
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks all,

ive bought an updated HDMI (not anything ridiculous)  as I’m sure we were only just hitting 1080 quality since I last bought any and I’m not using the supplied BT cable as I don’t have it.

I think there is a balance as there is so much difference in broadcast quality. I’m getting there with the settings now, I assume my the guide and software is just being upscaled with the resolution I’m selecting so won’t look sharp.

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

If anything the picture on like-for-like channels through the BT box should look just as good if not sharper than those you experienced with Sky. I used to find the Sky HD box produced quite a soft picture quality and I don’t see any discernible differences between HD on my BT box and through my Humax Freesat box. Each to their own re the HDMI cable but as long as it’s capable of transmitting a HD picture it will look identical even if you use a 1p cable when compared to any other.

0 Ratings