Did you mean: 
Highlighted
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: Bt Youview £49 PLEASE

@micaye wrote:

Walkerx,

this was part of what I can't understand "when Is it an activation fee" and others can pay £49 but "not charged" as an activation fee"

I agree, the whole thing is baffling

On the email sent to customers if you check the link email

How much is it?
As a BT Vision customer, we're offering you a YouView box for a one-off fee of only £49 (compared with £299 RRP on the high street) when you recontract your TV and
broadband subscriptions for a further 12 months.

and in the small print at the bottom

To move your BT Vision service onto a YouView box for £49, you'll need to be out of your minimum term contract and take out a new 12-month contract for BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity and BT Vision. Customers within their minimum term can purchase the YouView box for £299. You'll still need a fast-enough line and a BT Home Hub (included if you haven't already been given one). Quality of content depends on local transmitter, suitable rooftop aerial and availability of digital channels (www.youview.com). We'll charge you £6.95 for delivery and also for some On Demand content. Terms apply. 

the following links are all from this post

on this page http://www.youview.bt.com/ and click on How much will a YouView box from BT cost?

Existing BT Vision customers can get a YouView box for the same price - £49 for the box (£6.95 delivery but no activation charge) - by renewing their BT Vision and their BT Infinity or BT Broadband contract. No mention of whether this is if you are out of contract

on this Whats Different page under 

I already have BT Vision - can I get YouView on my BT Vision+ box?

Please note that a discounted YouView box is only available to BT Vision customers who are out of contract.

So you can see why consumers are getting totally confused over this

figozz
Message 12 of 16

It is called an "activation fee" because you really are not paying for the box.

If you were paying for the box, it would have to still work if you cease your BT TV subscription, which it doesn't.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 13 of 16

@figozz wrote:

It is called an "activation fee" because you really are not paying for the box.

If you were paying for the box, it would have to still work if you cease your BT TV subscription, which it doesn't.

Utter nonsense.

The YouView box BT supplies works 100% fine without a subscription. Owners can record, pause, watch, rewind content and access all catch-up and VOD players. The only content they won't get is the subscription BT stuff. 

0 Ratings
Wheel_nut
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 16

So, Who owns the YouView Box at the end of the contract period? Assuming that the customer has paid the £49 fee, and had completed the contract period of 12 months, can the customer cancel the "Essentials" package and simply use the Youview Box as a PVR and Timeshift catch-up device?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 16

The customer owns the box and yes you can cancel the service once contract is over.
0 Ratings
Wheel_nut
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 16

If that is true, Why does BT keep sending emails and Text messages demanding the box back when the customer cancels the service at the end of the contract term?

I have migrated my service from Vision to YouView at the end of my contract and am getting a barrage of demands to sent the box back.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
0 Ratings