Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesC
Expert
Message 51 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs you view

@jlh478 wrote:

I am totally confused now with all this.  All other providers seem simple by comparison.  Sky just has a box with anytime and satellite channels.  Virgin pretty much the same with a tivo option.  Talktalk have a clear youview offering (although it is crippled by lack of recording) but BT seems to have a load of different options and possibilities that noone is quite sure of.

Why are we having this Linux update to the black box?  Why not just put everyone on youview and have done with it? 

Agreed - it's all a bit vague. I'm not sure what Youview offers above what BT Vision does apart from an EPG that goes back 7 days too? As to pricing of any new packages, who knows?? And then there will probably be new packages for sport too with BT getting rights to various Premier league matches but again who knows??

This vagueness coupled with the buggy new software doesn't really give people much incentive to stay with BT Vision rather than move elsewhere.As much as I'd prefer not to go to the dark side 😉 at least with Sky you know what you're getting...

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 52 of 57

Does this clarify things a bit for you Les? -

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/multiplatform/youview-fees-could-be-up-to-200k/5046857.article

"The broadcaster-owned joint venture is currently working through submissions from 140 businesses interested in launching a Youview app, with a second wave of third party providers further to STV and Sky’s Now TV apps, expected later this year."

The venture is still young. Many things will come, in time...

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 53 of 57

@masona2 wrote:

Does this clarify things a bit for you Les? -

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/multiplatform/youview-fees-could-be-up-to-200k/5046857.article

"The broadcaster-owned joint venture is currently working through submissions from 140 businesses interested in launching a Youview app, with a second wave of third party providers further to STV and Sky’s Now TV apps, expected later this year."

The venture is still young. Many things will come, in time...

Thanks for the quote. Might be interesting to read the full article but....

Subscriber only content

You must be a paid subscriber to Broadcast magazine to read this article and receive complete, unrestricted access to broadcastnow.co.uk

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 54 of 57

Oh, sorry about that. I cannot access it now either. Anyway, the rest of the article was just YouView bashing. With an analyst saying YouView was just not a viable platform for Indie Broadcast companies.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
voxish
Contributor
Message 55 of 57

I've been a BT Vision customer for several years now - I'm totally confused by this.  Is the new BT Vision box compatible with Youview or not?  Surely it'd make more sense for all subscribers to get the same deal and advantages.

I prefer to watch sport live at the event and the latest films at the cinema so not interested in premium add-ons but what I like about BT Vision is the ability to watch pretty much what I want.  The main advantage of Youview (as I see it) is to extend the programme guide backwards as well as forwards.  Would be nice to be able to record offline as well (to take copies on an laptop or ipad for example).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
quails
Contributor
Message 56 of 57

@voxish wrote:

I've been a BT Vision customer for several years now - I'm totally confused by this.  Is the new BT Vision box compatible with Youview or not?  Surely it'd make more sense for all subscribers to get the same deal and advantages.

I prefer to watch sport live at the event and the latest films at the cinema so not interested in premium add-ons but what I like about BT Vision is the ability to watch pretty much what I want.  The main advantage of Youview (as I see it) is to extend the programme guide backwards as well as forwards.  Would be nice to be able to record offline as well (to take copies on an laptop or ipad for example).

BT Vision boxes do not meet Youview specification so you will not get Youview on it, now or in the future.

Since you're not interested in live sport (not available on YV yet) the big thing you get is HD Freeview channels, plus the nicer user interface. Taking copies of programmes offline isn't something that they have promised, but online connection from tablet/PC has been discussed.

0 Ratings
JohnMS
Message 57 of 57

BT vision 2 does not have HD tuners, it receives HD from the BT hub. The cost of reception is ignored at BT center.

0 Ratings