cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miket101
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Bt vision vs youview

Hi guys need some advice my recordable freeview box is on its way out. So i have come to the conclusion i would like a new tv service with recordable features. I have been looking around and the bt vision box with homeplugs appeals very much. However after doing some reading on the forum i have notice people talking about Youview coming in 2012 to bt. So this has got me thinking should i order Vision now or just wait for Youview as i like the idea of free HD service. I don't want be stuck in a contract with Vision if i end up with a box that is not freeview HD? or will bt upgrade exsisting customers to the new box ? Will home plugs come with the youview box or do we think it will be wireless. Any opinions welcomed guys not sure what to do really want a new tv service but if youview is out soon and i mean soon maybe worth waiting.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
quails
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Bt vision vs youview

Well Youview is already in the shops, its just the BT subscription/subsidised/lease service thats not announced yet and will be in next few months.

As you say now is NOT the time to lock into a non HD device. If desparate go for Youview retail box and you'll be able to add BT services after.

Current Humax box has no wifi yet, rumours are other units (maybe from Huawei and Pace) may soon have it.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

If there is any way you can hang on for a few weeks, BT should announce their prices for their YouView box. It may be better to get it through them, rather than buying the box outright in the shops.
0 Ratings
Mattyjoyce
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Def wait if you can, as mentioned it will be announced.

Although I am struggling to see what difference it is than current vision,apart from HD channels.  All the record live etc you can do that already, or am I missing something 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 9

@Mattyjoyce wrote:

... or am I missing something 

yes. BT vision itself won't be much different except not needing to provide catch-up on channels 3-5, but the difference is that YouView doesn't just provide access to BT Vision.

0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

What you would be missing going forwards is any non-BT specific streaming services they add to Youview, things like Skys Now TV, in future you might see the likes of Lovefilm or Netflix.

Hold on and see the deal if you can .... I doubt they will just give the box away and make money on upsell of services like Talk Talk are, but who knows, TT definitely put the wind up BT with that move.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

quails wrote:TT definitely put the wind up BT with that move.

I doubt it 🙂

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

@drhowells wrote:

quails wrote:TT definitely put the wind up BT with that move.

I doubt it 🙂

I knew six months ago TalkTalk would be making YV boxes available for "free". Because they said such in their last quarterly statement. To which they declared they would be paying £140 per box per customer. First 12 months of service - a loss of £200 per customer. Then, after that, pure profit. So it looks like all the seven shareholders/stakeholders are in this for the long and not the short term. And I'm talking years. Which makes sense, really. 

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
miket101
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Guys thanks so much for the replys. Think im gonna wait a few weeks and see if youview prices are announced. There seems to be no difference with bt vision and youview only the hd option but as the years or months go on im sure they will add more to it. I have a love for films account which if i can use on youview aswell as bt vision it will be a bonus. Plus it's possible the new box will support wifi and usb playback which the vision box does not ( i know it has usb but its unusable at the moment ). I remember Sugar talking about it a year ago or so saying it will revolutionise the way we watch tv.

0 Ratings