I have the remote shown below. Probably 3-4 years old now. The Guide and Close buttons often need several presses to work or just don't work. Have cleaned the remote window and the front of the box but no joy.
Is there a way to get a replacement? All other buttons work fine.
I have tried new batteries but it made no difference.
Solved! Go to Solution.
If you are prepared to take the remote control apart, and clean the contact area using a isopropyl alcohol cleaning wipe, you will usually fix the problem.
Its a bit fiddly, but is usually works, so it may be useful as a spare if you manage to do it.
If you're in contract with BT TV then just contact them & they'll send a new one.
Keith_Beddoe - I did get a replacement from BT however I'd like to see if I can get the old one working as a spare. Any tips on opening it up? I have removed the screw in the battery compartment but can't see how to get it apart....
Once you've taken the screw out it's just a case of defeating the plastic clips around the inside edge, this can be done by running a guitar plectrum or credit card along the seam between the front and back of the control
From what I remember, you have to carefully prise the two parts of the case apart. I think I used a couple of small screwdrivers and worked my way around the case.
When you get near the end, the two parts will come apart, so take it slowly otherwise you may end up with the buttons going everywhere.
There is a printed circuit behind which has the areas where the buttons press against. The buttons are actually electrically conductive (resistive connection), and complete the circuit when pressed.
What happens is that the contact area gets contaminated with perspiration etc, under commonly used buttons, and gently cleaning the printed circuit with alcohol based wipes, or contact cleaner.
You can also wipe the back of the buttons themselves.
The two parts of the case simply click back together, but make sure all of the buttons are protruding through the front, and are not dislodged.
Thanks. Took apart this morning. Quite easy. However not much muck to clear out. Wiped down with isopropanol. Dried and put together. Same result.
However most obvious difference is how hard you need to push all the buttons on the old remote compared to the new one. I suspect the switches themselves are on their way out and as they are sealed bubbles so it's off to the electrical waste section at the tip.
Thanks everyone for the help.
I am surprised they are sealed in, however it was one of the older Vision box remotes that I took apart, so the design may have changed.
The one I took apart released all of the buttons, once I removed the internal screws holding the printed circuit board in place.
You could then see the area where the buttons made contact with the circular markings on the circuit board. That is the area which I cleaned.
Ah I put masking tape over the buttons before dismantling. Turns out on this model the buttons are all on one rubber sheet so it didn't matter. The rubber buttons press down on silver domes which i guess then make contact internally when pressed down. Possible the rubber is worn and not pressing down as far as they used to (i.e. a replacement rubber button sheet might fix the issue). I believe a masking tape shim will bring the buttons back to life but the difference between the old and new remote is so different its not worth it. Although I might have another play at the weekend.....