cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Can BT PLEASE give an update on NowTV service?

What has happened to the promised Full NowTV service on BT?

https://www.btplc.com/BTToday/NewsList/BTandSky/index.htm

I quote directly from BT's own communications... (link above)

"BT customers will be able to watch Sky’s content seamlessly as part of our BT TV service. We’ve also agreed to supply our BT Sport channels to Sky, so they’ll be able to sell these channels directly to Sky customers."

"We expect these new services to be available to customers from early 2019."

“The agreement fits with our goal of being the best provider in the UK of converged network services. Adding NOW TV boosts our growing roster of outstanding content from the likes of Netflix, great pay channels like AMC and all the major catch-up services.”

We are now in September 2019 and there is NO sign of the promised NowTV integration into the BT TV service!

Why does this matter? Well I'm sure BT picked up new customers on the promise of providing Sky channels, and stopped many existing users from leaving their service...

Announcement like this ALSO affect a companies share price, and would probably have increased BT's share price.

Companies simply can't spout marketing promises to build their company without delivering on those promises, it is at the end of the day false marketing, and for those users that signed up, tiring them into 18 month contracts.

So BT, what is happening with the full integration of the NowTV channels into BT TV?

If I started a TV company and proudly announced that my service would soon offer the full Sky Entertainment package, but then never delivered it, I would rightly be challenged by the Advertising Commission, and my users would rightly demand to cancel their contracts  based on false service promises...

I'm not interested in any explanations about technical "challenges"

I'm not interested in any explanations about cross marketing "obligations"

It's very simple, you boosted your business through this high provide announcement, so we all now want to know when the full NowTV service will launch on BT TV!

20 REPLIES 20
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Can BT PLEASE give an update on NowTV service?

"We expect these new services to be available to customers from early 2020."

🙂

0 Ratings
dfel100
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Mmm, is that a bit like "in time for the 2019 football season" promise?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

I don't think you'll get an update, certainly not regarding the timing.

It won't be a cost effective way to watch if and when it does appear, but it will be convenient (of sorts!).

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

They can’t even get 4k hdr in time ... you don’t expect a basic service surely ? Lol 

ive signed up thinking I can get 4k hdr on my box and my Apple TV........ erm......nope.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

The issue seems to be with Sky & Nowtv not being able to deliver a product at 1080p/50 and nowtv appear to have stopped the trial of 1080p.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

HDR is HD only via the app and compatible devices. Youview are releasing a HDR UHD box next year according to their forums
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 21

And the Apple TV 4K box can’t do 4K 50fps HDR so you won’t get BT Sport in 4K HDR on that either, but that is Apple’s hardware issue.

TALON1973
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Scointer....... what ????? 

Im in the settings of the Apple TV box now.... it clearly does 4k hdr at 50 hz

heck it even does 4k hdr at 60 hz

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

It’s in the settings and I didn’t believe it either but if you look hard enough or even ask Apple you will see its right. It can only deal with streams of 4K SDR at 50fps or 4K HDR at 30fps.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/120932

We understand that the Apple TV 4K device does NOT support 4K HDR content above 30fps, but it does support HD HDR up to 60fps.‘

0 Ratings