cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Can BT PLEASE give an update on NowTV service?

You are getting getting hz and FPS mixed up. They are not the same.

film is in 24 FPS . That’s why when you try running Netflix on a Panasonic ub900 is rubbish as it runs in 60 FPS.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 21

Don’t you think it is you that is getting them mixed up. Everything I said about Apple TV 4K not doing HDR at 50fps is right. It is only you talking about Hz

The Apple TV 4K will only show BT Sports in 4K SDR because it is 50fps and the Apple TV can’t do that in  HDR. Wisely BT have chosen to keep the 50fps over the HDR as it is very important for sports.

hz and FPS are different but linked. Hz is the refresh rate, so 50hz means the screen refresh’s 50 times a second, therefore something playing at 50fps is a new frame every refresh (ideal for sports). Something running at 25 FPS at 50hz just means every frame is displayed twice per second to match the refresh (not ideal).

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Not really. Films on iTunes are no way playing below 50 hz which is the lowest standard. And films play at 24 FPS ( 25 in USA I believe ) .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 21

No. Most movies run at 24fps, USA is 30fps and the rest of the world 25fps.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-movies-shown-in-24fps-while-60fps-looks-more-real

so back to my original point the Apple TV can do 50 (even 60) hz for 4K hdr BUT not 50fps 4K hdr, which is what BT Sport 4K streams are.

There is a big difference from decoding 25fps and showing each frame twice (25fps @ 50hz) and decoding 50fps and showing each once (50fps @ 50hz).

Not sure if apple could improve thier decoding engine to be able to handle decoding 50fps 4K with HDR but would expect they are more likely to look at new hardware as they are about at their normal timeframe for a new box.

this is a good explanation as I am simplifying things a bit for the purpose of this conversation and not explaining the benefits of 50hz even for 25fps content -

https://www.lifewire.com/video-frame-vs-screen-refresh-rate-1847855

robotman1
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

As someone who needs to know these things for my day job I'd like to say "thank you" @scointer  for posting accurate information in this thread. Sorry @TALON1973 

ken2222
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 21

i am on  the now tv now and i got live moves on the now tv boxs the t 400 box bot not on my 2100 box not yet

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 21

Movies has always been available on Youview NowTv

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 21

I believe he is referring to the fact that the option to "Watch Live" is now available in the NOW TV app, rather than just on demand.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 21

AHH right... Ok

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Don't be rushing home for this apparent 'update'. It's no indication of what might happen next, thankfully 😀

0 Ratings