cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karansaraf
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Can I use two YouView boxes with BT TV?

I currently have a third party router, with BT TV connected to it via the standard youview box and powerline adapters.

Would it be possible, if I bought another YouView box from ebay and another powerline adapter to use on a different TV - would that combination work? Is there any technical reason I couldn't have two YV boxes working at the same time via powerline adapter connections on one router?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I use two YouView boxes with BT TV?

f you want two boxes on a BT TV package, then you need to order a second box package from BT.  Make sure you read the small print before buying your own box.  You'll most likely find that BT will send you a second box, and charge you an installation fee for it.

0 Ratings
karansaraf
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Even if it's a brand new BT branded YouView box off ebay that I'm buying?

Are you saying there's no way it would technically work without BT enabling some setting somewhere? Or will it work, but is against T&C not to buy from BT?

The reason I'm asking is because the TV I have upstairs has a faulty aerial connection and can't receive input from the coaxial cable/aerial, so I need a set top box to watch terrestrial TV. I'm actually not bothered about BT TV for the second TV, but I thought since Freeview Boxes are £20+ anyway, why not just get a BT YV box for £33 or whatever they are on ebay.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

That'll work just fine.

You'll only have BT TV on 1 box , the other will just be a freeview recorder with catchup.

I have the same setup.

0 Ratings
spaceman
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Tim,BT have offered me a basic [non recordable] tv box for free.Could I use my Humax DVR recorder with this set up?  Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@spaceman wrote:

Tim,BT have offered me a basic [non recordable] tv box for free.Could I use my Humax DVR recorder with this set up?  Thanks.

A Humax DVR (Freeview) recorder will continue to function as a Freeview DVR if has its own suitable aerial connection. It cannot record what the Youview box receives.

A  Youview+ box could be substituted for a Youview box. However without an Extra Box subscription (which allows BT services on 2 boxes)  only one Youview or Youview+ box can receive the subscription BT services (ie BT Player and the BT IP channels).

Multiple Youview boxes or Freeview devices can be used in the same household provided you have a suitable strength aerial signal and distribution or if using Youview (catchup/on demand) IP players or Apps suitable broadband speed and distribution.

note that Humax (including BT badged)  Youview boxes  and Humax DVRs normally use the same  remote control frequency. This frequency can normally be changed on Humax Dvrs but not on Youview boxes.

spaceman
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thank you zulu17.I have been on to BT and they have offered me the Youview+ box at no extra charge,so that has solved my problem.
0 Ratings
Chrisdaws
Message 8 of 8

Hi

I have my new Bt free view box just installed and I want to use my old one but am not sure how to connect my TV arial to feed a signal to both boxes. At present the arial connects through the new box then feeds up to the TV. Any suggestions? 

0 Ratings