cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Can I use wifi bridge to connect wirelessly to Humax box.

Go to solution

I am expecting my Humax box next week, with Powerline adapters. Could I safely use an Ethernet to WiFi bridge instead?.

One such device is NETGEAR WNCE2001-100PES Universal Wireless-N to Ethernet Internet Adapter. This can be powered from a USB port. Could I use the USB port on the Humax for this?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I use wifi bridge to connect wirelessly to Humax box.

Go to solution

Well yes, that bridge is specifically designed for connecting AV equipment to your router so there is a good chance. I haven't tried the rear USB socket to know if it supplies power (it is disabled for data transfer I believe).

However my experience with WiFi bridges hasn't been good. Even using an 802.11n 5 GHz Wireless Bridge with no interference and good signal to connect a smart TV I suffered buffering and unexplained stalling of PPV films (although lower bandwidth iPlayer was normally OK).

I ditched the (Linksys) bridge for 500Mbps Powerline adapters and haven't had any problems since, even with HD films, as they appear to have much more consistent performance than the WiFi bridge. The Netgear you mention may have much better performance than the bridge I bought however......

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. Do you know what speed Powerline adapters Bt supply?( I am getting the optional adapters from Bt).

I did not have good results with powerline adapters for connecting to a laptop in the same room that the Humax box will be in, but have quite good resukts with wireless. One problem with powerline is that I do not have any spare mains sockets in that room, and I know that powerline adapters do not work wekk on multi socket adapters. Also I tended to gets burst of noise on the mains which affected to powerkine adapters - possibly caused by a fridge in the next room,

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I think they are 200Mbps ones, although I use my own separately purchased 500Mbps ones from Netgear.

I find actual throughput to be about 1/4 of the connection speed visible via my power line adapter management software, depending on QoS setting. You want highest QoS for streaming to Youview.

So adapters that connect at near 500Mbps give about 120Mbps throughput (obviously more than sufficient to transmit my entire Infinity internet bandwidth) and those that connect at 120Mbps give about 30Mbps throughput.

The adapter (actually a 4 port gigabit switch with built in PLT) that feeds my Youview box falls into the latter category, and is in the worst performing location in the house, but that 30Mbps is of high integrity and more than sufficient for all HD streaming Smiley Happy

I think the BT adapters have a pass through mains connection, so they don't take up a socket. You just plug whatever is plugged into the socket into the adapter instead. This socket is also normally filtered so use it to protect any AV equipment that might get upset by noise on the mains......

Highlighted
Robin
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Try this: TP-LINK TL-WR702N mini router.

I have been using this since receiving my box several months ago. Bought from PC World for around £15. Requires some configuration, and works very well.

Robin.

jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. If the BT powerline adapters do have mains passthrough, I'll try them to start with. If that does not work satisfactorily I'll try the TPlink minirouter suggested by Robin, and failing that I might look at the Netgear device I mentioned before.

Robin - a couple of questions about the TP-Link. Does it have reasonably clear instructions to set it up in the correct mode (presumably bridge mode)? Are you getting power from the usb socket on the YouView box - or are you using the separate power supply.

0 Ratings
Robin
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
It does have reasonable set up instructions, however it is not for a complete beginner. The unit has it own mains power adapter.

If I remember correctly I had use the instructions on the CD manual, because the mode I required (I think it was Client) was not shown on the enclosed printed manual.
0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for that. I'll  bear it in mind. For now the powerline adapters seem to be doing a good job for me - Mind you this is only my third day on YouView, and I've not done much that will have been using the internet link.

John

0 Ratings
GG
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

The “IOGEAR Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter” seems to work with my BT Vision box, so should work on the YouView box:

and is very easy to set up.

Cheers,

GG

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks I'll bear that one ib mind too. Powerline Adaptersseem OK so far

0 Ratings