cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bludisc123
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can i connect a 2nd you view box with power line adapters

I am a new customer to BT having been rudely dealt with by Sky broadband. I live in a flat and cant have sky multiroom and Virgin is not available in my street. I switched to BT for my telephone and infinity 2 for my broadband. I wanted more than freeview in my bedroom so took out the BT you view which is connected via powerline adaptors i bought off BT. Everything is working perfectly but i want to put a second you view box in the 2nd bedroom. I called BT to order a 2nd box and another powerline adapter but the sales staff told me i would need an engineer to visit and cable both you view boxes. I was told the cost would be £35 no different to the cost of another powerline adapter. is this the case.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can i connect a 2nd you view box with power line adapters

It's very difficult to say if a second box would work.  The streaming channels use a system called "multicast", which does not do any buffering.  Any lost or delayed packets means your picture breaks up.

For most people, one box works fine over powerline adaptors, provided nothing else is using them.  However, if you had two boxes both trying to stream video at the same time, things may not work.  It's very difficult to say, as the speed that the adaptors are capable of delivering depends entirely on your home mains wiring.

If you want to save money, there's nothing to stop you buying your own long ethernet lead, if you can find a way of routing it around the flat.  Standard Cat5e ethernet works fine up to 100m with good quality cable and connectors.

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

I have both boxes (bedroom and living room) on home plugs and my router is in the hallway and all iptv channels work fine even the same channel on both boxes at the same time. As long as your download speed is at least 40Mbps and your home plugs are the 500Mbps or above variety you will be fine. My wiring is 20 years old so unless yours is ancient it would be no problem.

BT will try to sell you an engineer install and insist it must be cabled. Just get a self install and ignore them.
0 Ratings
bludisc123
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for the replies. The flat is only 6 years old so the mains wiring must be ok
0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Hi

I was a Beta Tester for the BT trial that covered multicast and was successfully running 3 devices over the powerline adapters of which 2 were YouView boxes both of which were recording 2 channels at the same time so it can definirlty be done.

Regards

Tim

0 Ratings
bludisc123
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

thank you i will give it a try

0 Ratings
CMA
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I agree with zarf2007. As long as you have decent powerline adapters that support multicast (most do) and ideally 500Mb/s adapters, they will quite easily cope with mutiple devices (Youview+ and PC and smartphones and tablets). I consistently get 200+ Mb/s across 3 powerline adapters way beyond what the Infinity2 can deliver. I am using 2 YouView boxes, a PC, a laptop, 3 iPhones and an iPad and get no buffering or breakup of any sort.

0 Ratings