cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clarencew
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can my TV aerial 'expire'? This is what BT support have told us.....

We have 2 aerials on the roof of our new house, an aerial cable and a BT youview box - the internet channels work fine, but the aerial channels show up in the guide but say 'no information' - can anyone help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can my TV aerial 'expire'? This is what BT support have told us.....

Hi @clarencew 

A simple check is to plug your aerial straight into your TV, retune and see what channels you get. If you get the normal range then the fault isn't your aerial.

0 Ratings
clarencew
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

We've plugged the cable directly into the TV and retuned and we got 106 subscription channels and 0 TV aerial channels - so is that  problem with the aerial and can it 'expire' as per BT's support centre said in India - it seems strange that a fixed aerial would 'expire'

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Have you retuned the TV itself? Leave your BT Box switched off.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 7

Hi @clarencew aerials can become out dated and may need replaced to pick up all the available freeview channels but as you have mentioned you's is new so I wouldn't think this is applicable to you.  

As @Andy005 has mentioned did you tune the TV in to see if it can pick up any channels? You're doing this to try and figure out if the problem is with the Youview box or the aerial.  If the TV can pick up channels after it is connected and tuned then you'll know if the aerial is ok.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

To expand on this, in the past it was common in some areas to fit aerials that only covered part of the range of frequencies that TV is broadcast on as that is all the local transmitter used. With the reshuffling of frequencies over time, most recently to do with making more space for mobile phone signals, the local transmitter may now use frequencies that are not now covered by the aerial. These days it is common to fit wideband aerials where some people now have the opposite problem of the mobile phone signals swamping their TV tuner and need to fit filters to cut them out. For a fuller, better description see

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/Aerial_Groups.htm

But in this case as your TV can still get all the channels then this does not apply to you.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 7 of 7

Having 2 aerials but 1 cable seems strange to me.

My guess would be that the connection you're using is not actually connected to either aerial and the first thing I'd check is what's behind the facia of the aerial socket you plug into.

0 Ratings