Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordyhall
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Can only use BT home Hub with BT Sport

Go to solution

Hi,

I have somewhat recently got BT Infinity which has been working fine, although the first thing I did was get rid of the home hub and add my Cisco (linksys) E4200. One reason I did this was because the HH3 didn't seem to do static routing which I wanted to use. I more recently signed up for BT Vision/Sport but I was having issues connecting to the BT Sport channels.

I put the HH3 back in instead of the Cisco router and the BT Sport started working.

So I now have BT sport working but cannot add any static routes to my HH.

Is anyone using BT Sport with a 3rd party router on the Youview box?

Does the HH4 have the ability to add static routes? (I have the HH3)?

Does anyone know why the BT Sport traffic wont go through my Cisco router?

Thanks

Jordan

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
MartinH
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can only use BT home Hub with BT Sport

Go to solution

@jordyhall wrote:

Hi,

I have somewhat recently got BT Infinity which has been working fine, although the first thing I did was get rid of the home hub and add my Cisco (linksys) E4200. One reason I did this was because the HH3 didn't seem to do static routing which I wanted to use. I more recently signed up for BT Vision/Sport but I was having issues connecting to the BT Sport channels.

I put the HH3 back in instead of the Cisco router and the BT Sport started working.

So I now have BT sport working but cannot add any static routes to my HH.

Is anyone using BT Sport with a 3rd party router on the Youview box?

Does the HH4 have the ability to add static routes? (I have the HH3)?

Does anyone know why the BT Sport traffic wont go through my Cisco router?

Thanks

Jordan

Hi, in answer to your questions:

1) Yes, a number of us. I use the TP-Link Archer C7

2) No idea I'm afraid.

3) The channels are stramed using a protocol called MULTICASTING which not all routers support

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

These are details of routers known to work:-

• BT HomeHub 3 and 4 - Automatically enabled (no option to enable/disable feature)
  • Asus RT-N66U - You must configure 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to 'No' under the WAN option.
  • TP-Link TL-WR1043ND - Automatically enabled (no option to enable/disable feature)
  • TP-Link Archer C7 - Automatically enabled (can enable/disable feature)
  • Billion 7800N - Requires profile (Pure Bridge) to the EWAN port along with the PPPoE profile. Also enable IGMP Proxy/Snooping
  • Billion 7800DXL - Probably requires profile configuring similar to the Billion 7800N
  • TP-Link TL-WDR4900 N900 - Automatically enabled
  • TP-Link WDR4300 N750 - Automatically enabled

jordyhall
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks Martin,

It's odd as my router seems to allow multicasting, but I guess not from the WAN port.

I was only asking about the HH4 as I would like to route to another subnet and the HH3 can't seem to do this.

Regards

Jordan

0 Ratings
jordyhall
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks Tim,

It looks like I will need to get one of those routers. What are you refering to in the brackets? Is that multicasting?

Regards

Jordan

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@jordyhall wrote:

Thanks Tim,

It looks like I will need to get one of those routers. What are you refering to in the brackets? Is that multicasting?

Regards

Jordan

That'll be a yes.

walkerx compiled the list and started a new thread so that anyone who finds others that work can add to it.

0 Ratings
wigglr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

You could try placing the HH3 between your Modem and Cisco in much the same way as I have done and mention here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Known-Routers-to-Work-with-Multicast-IGMP/td-p/994338/pag...

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@wigglr wrote:

You could try placing the HH3 between your Modem and Cisco in much the same way as I have done and mention here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Known-Routers-to-Work-with-Multicast-IGMP/td-p/994338/pag...

Hi wigglr,

Thanks for the input, but a lot of users don't want to use the HomeHubs along with another router. Ideally the end user just needs to be able to use the modem and their own router for all services as they usually provide better configuration options. Once a 3rd party router is used as an access point you lose all security configurations, leaving it up to the Homehub to do everything.

regards

Walkerx

0 Ratings
wigglr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

walkerx wrote:

wigglr wrote:

Hi wigglr,

Thanks for the input, but a lot of users don't want to use the HomeHubs along with another router. Ideally the end user just needs to be able to use the modem and their own router for all services as they usually provide better configuration options. Once a 3rd party router is used as an access point you lose all security configurations, leaving it up to the Homehub to do everything.

regards

Walkerx

But I'm not using my own router as an Access Point, rather I'm using the HH3 to bridge the modem to my router's WAN. As far as my router is concerned, it thinks that the HH3 is an external IP address and therefore provides full security against that IP address including firewall, static routes, port mapping, etc.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

My apologies, missed the bit about the DMZ.

But ideally we are just trying to get devices working directly to modem without homehub involved.

0 Ratings