cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon0303
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Can't transfer or record on DVD via youview box

When I had my old style vision box, I could record onto my from it onto my DVD player, now I have a youview box, when trying, my DVD player is telling me that copying of material is not allowed, even if I try to record what's on basic live TV.

Does the youview box prevent recording to other devices is what I'm asking ??

Simon

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
steviejay
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can't transfer or record on DVD via youview box

It is a PVR. You record programmes to your HDD to watch at a time convenient to you. Should you wish to save the content, you can protect or lock the recording from being overwritten.

It does not entitle you to make a copy/copies for external viewing or distribution.

The unfortunate downside of this is should you lose or replace the box, then the ability to watch saved recordings is lost.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 16

Unfortunately the YouView box puts a blanket restriction on recording to external devices. It has been asked on the forum if this could be changed (obviously some programs have to be copy protected but not everything).

There has been no official YouView response to this request to date but it has been intimated that there is no plan at this point to change it....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

Well according to Youview

SCART output copy protection should only be switched on when content providers
request it, or when watching HD channels. It shouldn't be enabled when watching SD channels
via your aerial.

source Q58 response in 

http://videos.youview.com/support/QuestionAndAnswer.pdf

0 Ratings
Simon0303
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for the responses, Q58 does seem to contradict Q30 so I rang Youview, confirmed can't transfer anything and no plans to change this.....maybe time I went back to a demand box which allowed the transfer to either and external DVD recorder for those all imprtant non protected at source) recordings !.....oh **bleep**, it appears BT don't do them anymore Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
quails
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Of course there are a MULTITUDE of generic TV recorders that allow SD and also HD programs to be recorded to external media, ranging from small "SCART Freeview Adaptors" to fully fledged Linux based PVRs, also DVB cards for PCs. So you can pay anything from £10 to several hundred for this capability.

You may already realise that all these TV signals, even HD, are transmitted completely unencrypted.

I have a HD satellite PVR with a few TB of disk to record shows that I want to keep (in addition to my Youview recorder). You are permitted to keep recordings for your own purposes according to UK law so don't worry on that score. Youview and the broadcasters want to limit the number of people able to do this, so they can flog us box-sets and also they will pay less to the rights holders if they can say "99.5% of our customers won't be able to keep a copy".

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

@quails wrote:

You are permitted to keep recordings for your own purposes according to UK law

That is an optimistic interpretation of what the law says.  But, as far as I know, this has never been tested in court.
0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

@gomezz wrote:

@quails wrote:

You are permitted to keep recordings for your own purposes according to UK law

That is an optimistic interpretation of what the law says.  But, as far as I know, this has never been tested in court.

This is not true, and here it is in plain black and white on a government intellectual property website :

You will not infringe the copyright in a broadcast if you make a recording of a TV programme in your own home to watch later. For any other use you may need the permission for the rights holder, unless copyright exceptionsapply.

Simple, straighfoirward, record as much as you like in any form for your own purposes ... just don't make your own box-sets of Bake Off and flog them on ebay, else you may get in hot water.

I understand that the broadcasters don't want us to be able to exercise our rights under the law, because as I said above this would increase cost of bought-in programming and reduce revenue on box-set sales. 

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

The fly in the ointment is that it has not been made clear the difference between "keeping" and "to watch later".
0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

@gomezz wrote:
The fly in the ointment is that it has not been made clear the difference between "keeping" and "to watch later".

If a government website is telling me I can legally make recordings to watch later thats more than enough for me, if it had said "for a maximum of 28 days" or "to watch on a maximum of 4 occasions" then you would have a point, as it is you do not. I'm keeping ...to watch later, if I were "keeping to resell" you would have a point, as it is you do not, sorry.

0 Ratings