cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: Can't transfer or record on DVD via youview box

As I keep saying and you keep ignoring, the intent of the what the law means by "recording to watch later" has not been tested in court. Until that happens it remains a grey area.
0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 12 of 16

@gomezz wrote:
As I keep saying and you keep ignoring, the intent of the what the law means by "recording to watch later" has not been tested in court. Until that happens it remains a grey area.

I think we agree not to agree, I'm not ignoring nor misunderstanding what you say though, I just think the wording the government has given us is 100% clear ... if I'm watching later I'm fine, if I sell them or bake cakes with them I may be in trouble.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 16

I may be wrong, but I am fairly sure, the law regarding copyright has very recently been amended and it now makes it legal for personal copies of recordings, CDs, DVDs etc , providing they are for the owners personal use, it does not allow for copies to be passed to friends etc.

I think these changes recognise what has been happening in practice and the near impossible task of enforcing the old legislation.

Perhaps someone who is more conversant with the law would care to comment. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 16

davidboo

The IPO update their guidance regularly - most recently on 1st October -see the Timeshifting and Personal Copying for Personal use sections of

https://www.gov.uk/exceptions-to-copyright

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 16

Re: Can't transfer or record on DVD via Youview box

Copying of your own CDs etc is a different kettle of fish as you have paid for the right to enjoy them any place, any time. The recent change in the law just adds by any means to that. It is inapplicable to recordings of broadcasts made for timeshifting purposes.

Just to be clear, I have no personal objection to people regarding timeshifting being for as long as they like.  Hell, I still have some MotoGP documentaries to watch from the beginning of this season and a few other favourite programmes / films tucked away that I like to watch time and again.  But I think it only right that people are aware of the actual legal situation especially now that the recording of IPTV on devices such as the Youview box means that hard information about what you recorded and when is now known outside the home and could conceivably be used by the authorities to crack down on this practise.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 16

Re: Can't transfer or record on DVD via Youview box

So is this not just another form of time shifting, it is not very much removed from the DVD copying of programs directly or indirectly, via a HDD, that is used by the major manufacturers.

Over the years, I have had 4 different boxes (grey & black BTvision & little & large Youview), and all of them have had 2 USB ports, whose only use, so far, has been to charge mobilesSmiley Frustrated 

For manufacturers/ suppliers to go to that extra expense, to produce a very large charger, when most phones come equipped with a portable device that can be plugged in any 13 amp socket, does not make sense.  

These USB ports must have another useful use, not mearly a poor imitation of something that we already have.

0 Ratings