cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Can you buy a Now TV pass for recording yet? Individually?

I’m on a contract at moment and don’t want to upgrade yet. 

However I would like to get a Now TV pass and have the ability to record. Last time I asked they said I’d have to upgrade to a brand new contract for BT TV for this ability!?! Went up chain as far as I could but basically couldn’t for no reason I could get out of BT apart from they wanted me in a 24 month, expensive contract for getting a Now TV pass so I could record. 

Has this changed yet? As in can you just buy a Now TV on the contract you’re on?

If not I will probably look about at upgrade time as don’t think this is fair for the ability, technically they should be able to do it on any contract. 

On a side note people who have the Now TV passes how is the recording? Does it just integrate on the EPG for recording etc. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can you buy a Now TV pass for recording yet? Individually?

You need to be on one of the Nowtv packages that BT provide to be able to record (just like at launch). It works exactly the same as the Freeview channels in that you can search, pause and record straight from the EPG.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Ok thanks, thought they would maybe have let anyone now, but still restricted to the long contract and most expensive....
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 8

If you want the ability to record, you need to subscribe via BT on a new minimum term, you can switch passes during that term without renewing each time though.
Anything you're subscribed to shows in the EPG and can be recorded, if you're using your own sourced passes then you access that content via the NowTV app not the EPG, so no recording ability.

Hope that helps 🙂

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

It did thanks, just frustrating that you have to subscribe to the top package to get the ability to record, when can’t see any real reason would have to.

I was hoping BT would after a while allow you to just buy a Now TV pass via then and get it on EPG to allow record.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 6 of 8

@QoQwrote:
just frustrating that you have to subscribe to the top package to get the ability to record

You can record on any of the new packages, the 'Entertainment' package is £12 p/m which is £2 more than buying it direct, for that £2 p/m or £48 over the minimum duration you get the Youview supplied (on loan) with support if needed, a warrantly on the box and the ability to record, everyones needs are different so do what works best for you.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

That’s just the TV part though, have to at least pair that with BB and phone? and also sign up for a 24 month contract so tied in.

I’m happy to pay extra £2/month, but not on a new contract for 24 months. I’m happy with what I’m on now and get a discount so price goes up massively, just for the ability to record Now TV.

As said, I’m happy to buy the pass from BT, even £2/month more, why do I have to sign up for 24 months though.
0 Ratings
NigelB72
Guru
Message 8 of 8

@QoQ you have to sign up for 24 months because it's being sold by BT as their BT TV offering and as it's been pointed out, they are supplying you with a Set-Top box and warranty cover for 2 years. It's also flexible, so you are only obligated to have the minimum package for the contract term but during that term you can add movies or sport for a month at a time... Upgrading and downgrading as you wish as long as you keep the minimum package. This can all be done via MyBT App.

Try asking Sky or VM if you can take the minimum package but have the option to switch between packages and see what answer you get...

So if you want flexible TV, you take a 2 years contract for the basic package at only £12 a month... Which is cracking value for money... 

0 Ratings