cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krislord
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Cancelled after losing Fox. Do I need to return box?

hi,

Fox HD was one of my most watched channels, so having lost it I decided to cancel my UHD service. 

As as this was within my 12 month term, I've been sent a bag to return my box.

do I have to return it? I had planned on sticking with Youview. I don't see why I should return it when it was the change in my channel package that breached the original contract. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Cancelled after losing Fox. Do I need to return box?

If you check the terms and conditions you should find that the normal way it works is that BT defer payment for the box for 12 months and then actually waive what you owe them after that 12 months, so you end up paying nothing as long as you complete the 12 months minimum term.

I would guess that as you haven't completed the minimum term you need to return the box or pay a charge for it if you want to keep it.
0 Ratings
krislord
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks, that's what I expected, but as BT haven't stuck to the contract (by changing the channels) is that term that I must return it enforceable?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Yes you will need to return the box. As the terms and conditions will probably state about channel changes etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

A customer might have only signed up last week. They value the box at £299 and surely can't afford to just give them away for free to customers who are only with them a short period.

Check the email about Fox and the terms online. I'm pretty sure in the past when they have offered early penalty free cancellation it states you have to return equipment.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Had a look at sections 53 and 54 here.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/TV.html

It doesn't actually state clearly about the box, just the penalty free cancellation.

Elsewhere it does say you own the box from day 1, but then also waffles on about the deferred payment.

You could try ringing the Customer Options Team on 0800 800 030 and ask what the situation is regarding the box. BT do have a habit of telling customers to return hardware anyway when they cancel, when really they are offering to re-cycle it if the customer wishes.

I'd be surprised if you got to keep the box for nothing, but you never know. 🙂
0 Ratings
krislord
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. There was nothing specific in the fox email either. When I called to cancel the agent had processed the cancellation before he even mentioned the box. It was just a "you'll get a bag so you can return the box" with no suggestion that it was mandatory. I just took it as part of BT's waste recycling obligations. 

its probably not relevant, but I am sticking with BT for broadband and my wife's mobile contract. 

I'll ring tomorrow. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

The general terms have a section 59 which relates to changes in price or terms and conditions. That does clearly state that deferred payment for equipment will not be charged if you cancel penalty free due to that.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/

Not sure that BT removing a TV channel is in any way a change in price or terms and conditions though.

There have been a few others on the Fox threads that say they cancelled early penalty free due to losing it. Have they had to return boxes?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

The tariff guide actually states the full price of the UHD box as £249 not £299 as I suggested earlier.

I still doubt you'll be keen to pay anywhere near that though! 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

BT haven't 'breached the contract' though as the terms that you agreed to clearly cover the possible situation of them changing content. Just not clear about the box in that situation.
0 Ratings