Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave1995
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Cancelling BT TV

Hey all,

Just been in an online chat with a BT Advisor. I've been trying to get a price for cancelling my contract early (think we know why)

The lady claimed that my contract ends on 13/10/2014, however cancelling now will only cost £5?

Does anyone else think that she's got the number wrong? I'm on TV Entertainment with Unlimited BT Infinity 2. I will be keeping my internet and phone with BT as they're the best provider I've had.

Thanks for anyone that can help.

Dave

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cancelling BT TV

well first off this is what the BT Tariff Guide (26th July) 

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

P41 says 

Twelve month or longer minimum term (Box and Player service)
If you end your subscription to a viewing pack/bundle/add-on within the minimum term, you will
have to pay a single charge of:
a) £3.00 for each month of the minimum period remaining for any Essential contract; or
b) £4.25 for each month of the minimum period remaining for any viewing bundle or Unlimited
contract; or
c) £4.75 for each month of the minimum period remaining for each viewing pack (within a Lite
contract), or
d) £2.00 for each month of the minimum period remaining for any Entertainment contract, or
e) £5.75 for each month of the minimum period remaining for any Unlimited Extra contract.
f) £3.76 for each month of the minimum period remaining for any Extra Box contract.
as compensation to us for ending it early. This charge will not be subject to VAT

However you also need to beware  of any defered charges for the Youview box if you haven't kept the service for 12 months.

So the charges will depend upon whether you are still within your minimum period for your BT TV Entertainment subscription - it is possible that your Broadband and calls has a different minimum contract date to your TV package.

0 Ratings
magpie03
Expert
Message 3 of 10

@Dave1995 wrote:

Hey all,

Just been in an online chat with a BT Advisor. I've been trying to get a price for cancelling my contract early (think we know why)

The lady claimed that my contract ends on 13/10/2014, however cancelling now will only cost £5?

Does anyone else think that she's got the number wrong? I'm on TV Entertainment with Unlimited BT Infinity 2. I will be keeping my internet and phone with BT as they're the best provider I've had.

Thanks for anyone that can help.

Dave

How do you get to talk to someone to end early?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Does seem a bit of an anomoly that the cancellation changes for the  higher cost Entertainment (Essential Extra)  package are higher than the lower cost Essential package.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 10

Hi Dave1995,

Thanks for the post.  I can double check this for you.  All I need is your account details.

Please drop me an email, you will find the 'Mods contact link' under the 'About me' section of my profile.  Just click on my username (SeanD).

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
glynwhite
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Everything bar the few internet channels I took out are uptodate.

How do I find out how long I have to go?

0 Ratings
Chlosham
Message 8 of 10

Today I tried to cancel my BT pakage because I found I was not made aware of certain things Like I was unabvle to have infinity or multiroom . When I argued a very rude Technician named James told me I should never assume anything and if I wanted to cancel I must pay over £300 cancellation fee. I feel really let down by this company and as soon as I am able I will cancel. Has any body else had the same problem?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Why didn't you check on infinity?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@Chlosham wrote:

Today I tried to cancel my BT pakage because I found I was not made aware of certain things Like I was unabvle to have infinity or multiroom . When I argued a very rude Technician named James told me I should never assume anything and if I wanted to cancel I must pay over £300 cancellation fee. I feel really let down by this company and as soon as I am able I will cancel. Has any body else had the same problem?

How did you order the package - was it over the phone or online ?

0 Ratings