cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dooley_do
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Cancelling due to price increase, 9 months into 18 month contract

My 18 month contract started October 12th 2018.

With price rise I intend to cancel entire TV package (MaxHD). In reflection I never watch any of it, other than about 5 football matches a season, so a waste of money.

If I cancel now (less than 12 months into contract) do I have to return the YouView box or pay for it if I want to keep it? If I get charged for the box what is the charge likely to be? I would prefer to keep it.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Dooley_do
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cancelling due to price increase, 9 months into 18 month contract

So the answer is 1/12 of the device value based on the pricing in the tarrif guide.

The ultra HD box value is £249. If I wait until July 20 to cancel then I'll have to pay approx £75. That's fine with me. The box is decent and I'll be saving £21 a month for the next 8 months by not having the TV package.
0 Ratings
Dooley_do
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Although the tarrif guide actually says...

Set-Top Box Deferred Payment Charge
The standard purchase price for set-top boxes are shown in the table above. New BT TV customers usually won’t have to pay an upfront charge for their first set-top box.
Existing BT TV customers taking an alternative set-top box will need to pay a box-swap charge upfront. New and existing BT TV customers taking BT TV Extra Box will need to
pay an upfront charge for any additional set-top box. The amount you have to pay depends on which set top box you select. If you pay less than the standard purchase price
upfront, payment of the balance is deferred for up to 12 months from the date we accepted your order for the set-top box. If you end your BT TV contract within this period
(except where our terms and conditions allow you to end your contract without paying a penalty) the balance of the standard purchase price for your chosen set-top box
becomes payable. How much of the balance you need to pay depends on how much of the 12 month period from the date we accepted your order is left when your BT TV
contract ends. For each month left we will charge you 1/12th of the balance. If you keep you BT TV contract for 12 months or more after the date we accepted your order for
the set-top box, you won’t have to pay the deferred balance of the standard purchase price for that set-top box.

"except where our terms and conditions allow you to end your contract without paying a penalty". So does this mean maybe not having to pay?
0 Ratings
Dooley_do
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Further reading here https://www.bt.com/terms/post3rdjuly2016tv

Suggests no charge for equipment, even under 12 months as per clause 17f.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Trace-T
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

With regards to your reply to my own thread;
https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Return-Equipment-or-you-will-be-charged-cancelled-due-to...
Just out of curiosity, do you see a similar message regarding returning the box when logged into MyBT? Tracking the order for your cancellation due to the price rise...

0 Ratings