cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff_tower
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Catchup TV

I forgot the Cheers started on ITV4 last Monday, the catchup tv does not have it. Can anybody tell me, does the new Freeview box have the FULL tv guide going back 7 days? in which case I would have been able to watch the Cheers episode. 

Don't know why BT call it catchup really. it sounds impressive but iy ain't

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Catchup TV

Hi. The YouView box will (does) have the same problem. The channels (BBC, ITV etc) have to get permission to put programs on the different catchup services. These are called 'rights'.

American programs are notoriously difficult for getting rights for on demand content. The BBC never have Family Guy on iPlayer.

The FULL tv guide is not on YouView, only the main channels really and even there are gaps like Cheers etc.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

<Sigh> right, I am going to contradict myself now. My YouView box had it's first issue earlier, so I couldn't check properly about Cheers. It IS available on the YouView box to watch on demand, even though I would never have thought it would be.

Most of what I said still stands (in the most case). Believe it or not some programs can be available on demand on some platforms e.g. PC and not on BT Vision. I have read somewhere that YouView is being treated as a seperate on demand platform, so there may be different rights to show Cheers on YouView comapred to BT Vision.

Sorry if that has complicated things.... If you have any questions about what I have said or need some clarity (I wouldn't be surprised after all my ramblings :)) please ask.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

You can watch it online on the PC ITV Player site ..

0 Ratings
jeff_tower
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

thanks for that, I got the the impression from the Youview adverts that you could watch the previous 7 days tv guide on everything. This was a major plus point for me. So are you saying its roughly the same as bt's catchup?

I had assumed instead of just forwarding, you could also reverse the guide up to 7 days. if thats the case it was very misleading

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

You can reverse the guide upto 7 days but not every program from every channel is available. What is included does work very well though.

0 Ratings
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

My understanding is that YouView's catch is much more comprehensive that it is on the BT Vision box, again down to rights.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

I would say that there is a lot more content on Youview.
0 Ratings