cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Channel 4 Surround Sound

Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound is a bit of a rarity, it occurs on the odd BBC nature program and not much else.

Channel 4, according to the youview program guide, is nearly always transmitted in surround sound, which is designated (SS).

I don't think this is true because, all of my channel 4 recordings are at best stereo and never full surround sound, is the guide wrong or is my surround sound amp faulty(unlikely, it decodes 5.1 DVDs & the odd 5.1 BBC program without any problems).   

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Channel 4 Surround Sound

Channel 4 HD used to do a lot of films in 5.1 and 'the simpsons' always used to be in 5.1. Maybe try checking on an episode of 'the simpsons' and see if that shows as 5.1

The ss moniker seems to be a bit badly used...

EDIT - CH4 HD shows 'The Simpsons' @ 6pm as [ss] I have set it to record and will check if my amp picks it up as 5.1

Just out of interest I am connected to my amp via HDMI.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

So just to confirm, my amp is def showing 5.1 Dolby digital + for Simpsons on ch4 HD 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The surround sound indicator means the stream is encoded in HE-AAC 6 channels. The box then transcodes it in dolby 5.1 for compatibiity
You need to ensure you have set surround in the tv audio settings of your box
0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Just to add a bit more detail, my connection is via a HDMI lead to the surround sound amplifier and then HDMI to the TV.

The audio settings on the youview box are set to "surround"

To be specific about a channel 4 program, I record "Countdown" in HD, it is listed in the youview guide as SS which should mean surround sound but the surround sound amp displays "Dolby-D 2.0".

I suspect this to be the case in most of the channel 4 listings, I have done a quick check on the odd program that has the SS designation and found them all to be 2.0.

I have previously recorded BBC programs that were surround sound and correctly marked SS and my system , correctly displayed them as being Dolby-D 5.1 and the sound did come, correctly, out of all 6 speakers.

As previously suggested I will record "The Simpsons" tonight and if it is "Dolby_D 5.1" it will confirm that my setup is correct and "Countdown" and the others I have checked have been wrongly designated as SS. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I think the issue has to do with how the receiver transcodes the stream. The Freevie HD stream uses either AAC multichannel or dolby digital plus. Practically all streams are AAC and the youview box transcodes them in dolby digital 5.1. Depending on the receiver this gets either accepted as dolby digital or in some cases the receiver only looks at the channels to determine is it is two or 5.1. Technically you have still an AC3 stream but in effect this has 2 or 6 channels. My receiver marks channel four HD as dolby but actually only 2 channels are there most times. The simpson is not recorded in surround and except some movies most of other programs are just stereo.
I think your receiver is interepreting correctly what thhere really is. Movies however are surround. Check some of the 9 pm titles for those the surround is real
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

The best way to check if something really has surround sound is to use the sky guide....
0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

I recorded five Ch 4 progs last night, all only displayed Dolby_d 2.0 with the exception of "The Simpsons" which was recorded in Dolby-D 5.1.(thanks to scointer for that nugget).

It is misleading/unfortunate for Channel 4/youview to display the information about surround sound incorrectly when all of the other major channels manage to display it correctly.

I do use the guide to make choices about viewing/recording and this may include the type of audio, these errors do not make it very easy and I think I will press this matter further with youview/Channel 4/Ofcomm.

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Channel 4 did show most of their programmes in 5.1 but in recent months i've noticed that this has reduced, whether it be a technical or commercial issue, who knows.

0 Ratings