cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KateAdam
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Channel signal problems

We’ve had problem after problem since switching to BT TV a couple of months ago, and I’m sick of speaking to people at call centres to find that they don’t manage to come up with a proper solution. When the sound disappeared through our BT TV the advisor insisted it was our TV that was the problem, despite us explaining time and time again (and him hearing for himself over the phone) that we had sound through everything other than the Youview box...

We have the router and first Youview box in the living room, second Youview in the bedroom above, connected using the Mini Connector plugs. We pay the additional £5 per month to be able to watch BT TV in the second room.

So if anyone can help, the current issues:

1) we’re unable to watch many of the channels due to awful signal problems. These channels include: Pick, Dave, Really, Create and Craft, E4+1, Sony Movie channel, Quest Red, Food Network, Gems, Challenge, Movies4Men, TJC, TBN UK, and ,any more.

2) we went for the Entertainment Plus package plus BT Sport as we wanted the additional channels that it offers. It takes a little while for these channels to load, and on some channels we get the IPC6020 error message (even though the blue light is on the Youview box for internet connection), and are constantly told to watch this channel we need to set it up (Even after pressing ok to set up, still doesn’t work and same error code comes on again)

Another error code we’re getting is BTP-202, and another on the box upstairs occasionally which advises that this channel is only available on the main box and do I want to change this box to the main box? But then at other times this channel (Universal) works perfectly upstairs.

3) The apps and players...

Why can I watch Netflix through my smart TV with no buffering at all, yet when watching through the Youview box it can buffer every 30 seconds. Now TV is ridiculous also, I’ve practically wasted my months movies pass as it’s impossible to watch anything without errors, buffering all the time etc.

4) the buzzing and humming of the box which comes and goes every 10-20 seconds drives me crazy when watching quieter programmes 

On the plus side, the broadband is great on the laptop, phones and tablets. This was the main reason we moved from Sky, and we moved the TV as we wanted the combined package. It’s just a shame that the TV boxes are letting it down, as well as the India based call centres...

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Channel signal problems

Welcome to this user forum.

There seems to be two issues, one is the signal level on the FreeView channels, the other seems to be with the subscription channels.

On each YouView box, can you please see what the signal level and signal quality is, and post them here.

The other issue is going to need help from either one of the moderators, or one of the BT TV experts, so I will ask them for help.

0 Ratings
KateAdam
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the fast reply Keith 😊

Box 1 - signal strength - 77%
Signal quality- 100%

Box 2 - signal strength - 20-25%
Signal quality - 55-70%

So the signal issues just seem to be on Box 2. No pixelation or problems with Box 1.

Thanks, Kate
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

The  signal on box one is fine, much too low on box two, so you are going to need to improve that with an aerial amplifier or an aerial distribution amplifier.  How is your aerial signal split between the two YouView boxes?

0 Ratings
KateAdam
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

I’m not very technologically minded when it comes to this, I’m sorry!
There is an AUX socket in both the living room and in the bedroom which the Youview box is plugged into.
Is this what you mean?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Where is the TV aerial situated?

Somewhere there must be a splitter or aerial amplifier which splits the signal between the two sockets.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

This is what I would expect to see, something like this.

You may need to ask a qualified aerial installer to look at your aerial signal, and the way it is distributed.

0 Ratings
KateAdam
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thank you, I’ll try and get the other half to look up in the loft when he’s back!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

It may be that only a simple aerial splitter has been fitted instead.

This would not normally be any good if you want to split the signal to two separate YouView boxes, as they both need a good signal.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 10 of 10

Hi @KateAdam

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your BTTV. If you PM em your telephone number I can take a look into the issue for you.

Thank you.

0 Ratings