cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Connecting a 3 Year Old BT YouView Recorder via WiFi

Hi All, I am a newbie so forgive me if this question has been posted several times before but I have searched the Forum and most of the Questions and Answers on this subject are several years old.

We have an unused BT YouView Recorder at home which I would like to use at our static caravan. I did try to connect it once but found that there is no built in WiFi only the facility to connect via Ethernet or Power Line adapters (which we used at home) so I gave up as the only way we get the internet in our van is via the WiFi provided by our site hence no local router.

We have a Smart TV in the caravan so the only thing I need the BT box to do is record the Freeview channels.

Is it possible to connect it to the TV without going through Ethernet or is there a way to convert it to WiFi via a Wireless Router such as the TP-Link TL-WR802N?

As I am not very technical, would this be fairly easy to do? I’ve set up a Netgear WiFi extender without a problem but my technical knowledge is limited!

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connecting a 3 Year Old BT YouView Recorder via WiFi

For recording the Freeview channels you don't need an internet connection. You only need the aerial connection as does your TV.

You can plug the aerial feed into the Youview box & then a feed out from it to the TV.

In the settings you need to enable RF out or whatever it's called.

Alternatively just use a splitter.

As the box is old & not been used for a while then hopefully it's still on OldGen - lists rather than tiles.

I'd suggest that at home you connect it to the TV as above BUT not to the internet & see what version it's on.  I stress again don't connect it to the internet. If it's connected it'll try to update & that we want to avoid probably.

The difference between OldGen (lists) and NextGen (tiles) is that OldGen doesn't require an internet connection at all but Nextgen needs it to do the initial setup & then when not connected will continually moan that yuo've no internet.

Post back the version.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks for the information. We are at the van at the moment and the box is at home so I will connect it up when we get home to find out what version it is. I have a funny feeling that it’s the tiles though! I will post again when I have found out. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Do you know if the Wireless Router suggestion would work (see my post for details)?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Provided you can get the site wifi in the caravan then all you need is a range extender that has an ethernet port & will act in a client mode.

The TP Link you refer to would seem to match those criteria.

0 Ratings