cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Connecting a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX713 via USB port / Dongle to "You View" without cables?

Unfortunately I have a Sony Bravia TV - KDL-463E713 which I believe is not of the smart generation of TV's so cannot connect to my new BT You View Box wirelessly. I don't want to connect via HDMI as the TV has been mounted on the wall and the You View Box is about 7 metres away.

Is there a "You View" dongle available that is Wi-Fi that converts my TV into a smart TV so I can connect to the You View Box to receive the TV channels that I have paid for via BT?

I obviously have the Router to the broadband BT service too which is connected into the wall in another room.

Can someone advise me as to whether I can purchase a wi-fi dongle to connect to You View?

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX713 via USB port / Dongle to "You View" without cable

The only wifi dongle that would work, if there was one available, would be a Sony one because it would need the drivers which make it operate to be either already installed in the TV's operating system or could be installed from the dongle into the TV's Operating system.

The only other way to make the TV "smart" would be to use something like a Chromecast dongle but I don't know how or if that would be able to interact with your Youview package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Re: Connecting a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX713 via USB port / Dongle to "You View" without cable

Thanks for the advice,

i will try Sony now,

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

@Jonathan123 The only way that you'll get a picture from your Youview box is to connect the TV to the HDMI port on your Youview box I don't think USB will work, there are various HDMI to HDMI wireless AV adapters on the market but BT wouldn't be able offer you support on how to set this system up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

I have to ask: Why is the Youview box sited so far away from the TV?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

The appartment was built that way with all connections in the corner of the lounge and the TV centralised in the middle of the lounge wall in a recess I guess that the builders thought that anyone moving into this new appartment wouldn't go for a "You View" box and would use a smart TV ! - Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Better to move the Youview box to be near the TV and run a long ethernet cable back to the Homehub / Router or (if you must) use Powerline adaptors to connect the Youview box to the router without needing to lay an ethernet cable.  Then connect to Youview box to the TV with a normal shortish HDMI cable.

0 Ratings