cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Constant dropouts on Freeview

Hello,

I'm at my wit's end with the you view box. I have an aerial which is split with one going directly to the TV and the other to the you view box. The you view one then goes to the TV.

If I'm watching BBC news HD it keeps dropping out along with HD BBC 4. But this never happens with the aerial going directly the TV.

I've just retuned the you view box and lost both BBC 4 and the BBC news channel.

Any ideas as I cannot fathom how the TV with the direct aerial has no drop out and lost channels.

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Constant dropouts on Freeview

Splitting the signal will always weaken it. Maybe the TV tuner is more sensitive or maybe you have some extra loss in the split cabling. Probably be better to accept a little more electricity usage & have the signal daisy-chained from the box instead. You just need to enable the correct setting in the standby menu.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The Youview box requires a higher quality signal than your TV because it has twin tuners so there may not be strong enough or clean enough signal getting to the Youview box. We had a similar issue at our old home that had aerial extension loops. When we connected a RF cable to the loop system, we lost some HD channels. Best option is to disconnect the aerial from your TV as it shouldn't be needed and use the Youview box for terrestrial TV.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

hi @Caher The COM7 multiplex transmits BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD . The coverage  and  frequency used for COM7 and the relative lower power  signal can lead to it not being detected on  multituner Youview devices  even though a TVtuner may detect  it. A second possible cause is interference which could occur if the aerial cable is close to HDMI or other cables.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for replying.

It shows at 100% on most Freeview channels in fact I've had to fit an attenuator as the signal is too strong. I've I disconnect the TV input I'll have access to certain channels.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Ok I have found something interesting, at the end of the retune it asks me for my region. If I select London I get all my channels but if I select the East Midlands I loose BBC 4 etc.
I live in the East Midlands.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@NigelB72 

People keep quoting about twin tuners being an issue and it isn't the case.

Most other PVRs on the market have twin tuners , some more than that , without having any issues at all.

My TV has twin tuners as have my 2 Panasonic recorders and they are absolutely fine.

The problem is that the tuners on the BT supplied Humax units are inferior and suspect to overly strong or weak signals , end of.

Message 8 of 8

I agree. Prior to BT I had an old hummex box that had no issues with dropped channels. Same area, aerial.

0 Ratings