cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Constant problems with YouView box. Fed up being used as a Beta tester.

I have had a BT YouView Humax box since October last year, and have had nothing but trouble with it to the extent that I am afraid to rely on it and only use it if I can't use my other HDD recorder.

The original box was replaced by BT earlier this year after a failed software update killed the box.

Since then I have had the box freeze while watching catch-up, requiring a reboot. (Not picture freeze, box freeze), stuck forward skip button function, can't watch recordings without a reboot after "phantom" software updates (the status says "Software last updated 12/6/2013" but the software versions are May's versions), truncated and failed recordings and the HDMI switching function doesn't work except the first time I bring the box out of standby after a software update to name but a few of the problems I have had and continue to have.

Each new update (They have been monthly so far) seems to introduce a new problem, yet there doesn't seem to be any way to report these problems to BT except via this forum. I have been using YouView's own support forum where these problems are clearly not isolated instances.

I have ended up having to submit a complaint to BT about the service instead of being able to alert them to each problem as it arises.

I am basically fed up with being used as a Beta tester for a box and service that was plainly not ready for market.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jfsfoster
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Constant problems with YouView box. Fed up being used as a Beta tester.

Read this guide from YouView:

http://videos.youview.com/support/maintenance_mode.pdf

Choose one of the two Internet/USB recovery options, depending on if you want to save any recordings. I didn't so choose the delete recordings option. The box then goes to the YouView servers and downloads and installs the latest software which I believe is the May 2013 update:

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/automatic-software-update-may-2013

This is what I did because my new box wouldn't update. It seems to work fine. If you still have loads of problems then it must be a hardware fault. Phone BT and request a replacement. Or else just cancel your BT TV package, albeit four months early on the basis that the product is not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I  also like many other people have made the mistake of signing up to a BT vision box from January this year which has never worked properly from day one and constantly freezes when trying to load the iplayers. Despite many calls to BT technical all of which have been a complete waste of my time, I still have a vision box which is not fit for purpose and BT refuse to cancel the contract.

Any suggestions on what I can try other than taking the problem up with OFCOM.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Do you have a YouView box or BT Vision box?
0 Ratings
jfsfoster
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I would suggest a YouView box from BT to replace your Vision + box. It is the same as the Humax retail box (it just has a BT logo on the front, but it is the same). You will get dual Freeview tuners. You get modern hardware and software. It has got 5 star reviews. All we are waiting for is the extra channels from BT in July. And of course, BT Sport.

The other thing is the YouView platform to allow third party apps (ie Netflix, Lovefilm). There is one benefit to the Vision + box. You can get Sky Sports on it, but not on YouView.

You will have to jump through a few hoops to get a free upgrade. You will need to deal with tech support and reset the box (to re-install the software), restart the hub etc. If it is still faulty, they should offer you a YouView box replacement. I don't know if you can dodge the £49 connection fee and £5/month one year contract extension.

TBH I had the original box back in March 2007. I loved the UI and ondemand library. But is was always an underpowered box with a very unreliable backend. 

YouView and Infinity are the way forward, until we can somehow get FTTH/FTTP.

0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

...er... it is a YouView box, that is why it says "Constant problems with YouView box" in the thread title.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I think perhaps you have misunderstood the point I was trying to make.

I have tried resetting the box (two boxes now, since the contract started), problems go away for a while, but I'm almost afraid to use it because there's always something that doesn't quite work right, especially after each software update.

My view is that I shouldn't have to keep messing about with resets and so on, a proper, finished product ought to work, and work properly from day one.

I am still awaiting any response from BT to a complaint I submitted last Friday.

I shall certainly not be renewing my subscription when it expires in October, assuming I can't get them to terminate it early because of non-provision of the service I was promised.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Highlighted
wendyk1
Message 8 of 9

We have had constant problems with our you view box it constantly freezes can't do anything with it we call BT they reset it then it just carries on freezing BT have sent us a new box just hope this one works better than the last one !!!!!!
0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I wish you luck in getting a replacement. It sounds as though you have a bad box, and it ought to be replaced rather than tinkered with.

I left BT after my contract expired partly because of their appalling lack of service with the Youview box problems and still use the Youview box, which now behaves as a normal retail unit except it gets the BT software updates instead of the retail ones.

I had trouble with BT asking for it back, even though the contract says I own it, but that problem was sorted out.

The box still misbehaves from time to time, but is basically reliable enough to use, although there are still frustrations, such as not being able to add "padding" to recording times, so it contantly misses the start of programmes, and sometimes the end, and there's no way to tailor the channel list to create favourites or push the most often used channels to the top.

Apart from that, it seems to have become more reliable and the software updates don't come quite as often now. It is almost as though they've finally got it almost right, about two years too late.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings