Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
richlatham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Control TV with Youview box

I had my Sky box connected to my TV via HDMI. If I switched my Sky box on it would take cause the TV to switch to it automatically.

However, when I switch my Youview box on, the TV stays on TV. I have to change the input on my TV's remote control to switch to Youview.

Is it possible to automate this?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Minkey1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Control TV with Youview box

It seems the BT Humax box has variable handshaking capabilities with other connected equipment.

On our Samsung TV, we watch the YV box via the TV's HDMI2 source. If the source is left unaltered, we turn the YV box on, and that switches on the TV with the same source retained - so we see the YV picture.

It doesn't if in between we've selected another source.

By contrast, our BD player is connected to the amp, which has then has HDMI out to the TV. We always watch blu-ray with the amp on. If I turn the player on, it switches the amp on at the blu-ray source and switches the telly on to HDMI1, whatever source we previously had on.

Just one of those quirky things Man Surprised

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Not quirky at all. The youview box just doesn't work properly.

0 Ratings
Petruchio
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I also find it annoying that to work the volime of the tv you have to press tv first. If not it just turns down the internal volume of the youview box. Why have they done this? With Sky the volume control works the tv without having to go back and forth out of the tv setting.
0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

As JohnKelly says, the box doesn't work properly (yet). I think it's trying to be far to clever for it's own good. What I would like to see is setup options for display resolution and audio formats. I don't want the box deciding for me what I should be having. My YouView box is connected to three display devices (via various switches). If I switch on the TV upstairs - which is only 720p (but accepts a 1080p signal), the screen will flicker for a few seconds and then decide on what it should be doing. All HD TVs will accept a 1080p/i signal and scale it appropriately, I don't need the box to do it for me. 

The product is just not ready for market, as a basic PVR and streaming box it is fine, but it struggles when your situation doesn't fit into what YouView think you should be.

0 Ratings
richlatham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

The SKY remote is the best I've seen - it's so intuitive and like you say you don't need to press the TV button to control the volume. However this box is a lot cheaper than Sky...

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

I use a Logitech Harmony One remote. I would need 9 remotes otherwise 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Harmony remotes are great for multiple devices. I have an older Harmony 555 and it works great. Set up for the new youview took less than 2 minutes. I'm about to upgrade it to the Harmony touch, was going to get the Harmony 1+ but the week I was about to buy I saw a preview of the new Harmony touch and it looks great.

0 Ratings