cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevKing64
Message 1 of 9

Corrupted picture quality and loss of sound on a regular basis

We are experiencing some problems with our YouView box and wonder if anyone can point us in the right direction.

For some time now the picture quality at the top of the screen goes all pixilated and goes into a loop, displaying the same image for 10 - 15 seconds ( audio remains intact ) then returns to normal, until a couple of minutes later and it does it again. Every now and again the sound drops out for 10 - 15 seconds and then resumes.  This happens predominately when watching BT Sport, and it can get very infuriating.

Any ideas any one?  Could it be a problem with the box or the internet connection.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Corrupted picture quality and loss of sound on a regular basis

@KevKing64 wrote:

We are experiencing some problems with our YouView box and wonder if anyone can point us in the right direction.

For some time now the picture quality at the top of the screen goes all pixilated and goes into a loop, displaying the same image for 10 - 15 seconds ( audio remains intact ) then returns to normal, until a couple of minutes later and it does it again. Every now and again the sound drops out for 10 - 15 seconds and then resumes.  This happens predominately when watching BT Sport, and it can get very infuriating.

Any ideas any one?  Could it be a problem with the box or the internet connection.

Which router are you using?

How is your YV box connected to the router - wired connection or home plugs?

Which YV box do you have from the following: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43928/~/different-types-of-youview-boxes-from-bt

Do you only have this problem with internet channels or does this happen with normal freeview channels also?

0 Ratings
KevKing64
Message 3 of 9

We have an ECI Telecom router (little white box) connected to a Home Hub4.

YouView box is a Humax DTRT1000

Connect via ethernet cable direct to the hub.

And yes only experience these problems whilst watching internet channels, mainly BT Sport, HD or normal.

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

My ECI modem and home hub 4 are a **bleep** nightmare together. they do exactly the same.

I switched from an HG612 to a ECI thats where my glitches started. The way I fixed the issues with the ECI modem was a 10/100 Ethernet switch in line with wan port and modem, and it had to be grounded It has a wire attached to earth, then ran Shielded Ethernet cables between the modem and the home hub through the grounded Ethernet switch. 

I tried a brand new spare ECI modem and it's exactly the same, It seems the Ethenet driver is poor and very susceptible to impulse noise like electrical items switching on and off.

Now with the shielded cable grounded to my BT youview box and connected to the the home hub 4 or other router of my choice. It's finally glitch free, for many hours at a time, for the vast majority of the time. BT TV is not a perfect glitch free technology so you shouldn't expect perfection especially with horrible copper phone line rather than nice clean impulse noise free optical fibre providing your internet. but you should definatly not get what your seeking

I highly doubt you want to be playing with grounding and shielding so the easiest way out is to get hold of customer support and request a home hub 5 in order to fix your glitchy TV and ditch the ECI modem. If you have a UHD box please use the included shielded Ethernet cable, even if you don't have a UHD box it might be worth getting a shielded cable, even if they are not grounded they still pretty effective and may prevent glitches.

you can tell a shielded Ethernet cable by the metal plate around the end connectors, unshielded cables don't have it.

0 Ratings
brads27
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

If you was to speak in plain english i might understand some of what you put,no abbrivations ,i am having problems with pixilation,i am using the latest hub and youview ultra Hd box but the freeview programs are poor,was never a problem when i was with sky.

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Well how about this, simply avoid the old separate modem / router infinity setups with BTTV.  Use the included shielded Ethernet cable whenever possible. This is about as good as you can set up BTTV in your home.

Even then it may be impossible to avoid BTTV internet channel glitches. Most broadband Internet lines run with errors and error correction. The Error correction is not always capable of correcting all errors.

In my opinion, BTTV's Internet channels will not be fully stable for everyone, until people have true Fibre broadband with an optical fibre delivering the Internet all the way into the home.

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Poor Freeview programs is an issue with your aerial not the Internet, there are a few recent threads in the forum detailing poor reception issues.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
OLD_MAN
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I can concur with the use of shielded Ethernet cables.   Without those my UHD box even with the new SmartHub can be unstable and pixilation, sound interuptions and lockups regularly occurred.  As previously mentioned in this thread, the cables can be recognised by the metal shielding around the plug.   The cable supplied by BT with the UHD box is the correct spec but mostly too short for most people's requrement including mine.

The Ethernet cables are specified as Cat 6 sftp (Screened and Shielded) and can be obtained on line from several suppliers but....  they are expensive!

A 20 metre cable will be about £35 but, eliminated all my stability problems in an instant!  They are thicker and should not be forced into sharp bends and I was forced into a completely new route from the Hub to the Box as a result.

Having sat with a BT Engineer for a while last week, he confirmed the need for cables of the correct spec and using the BT supplied cable wherever possible.

Perhaps BT could consider offerring a longer cable as part of the box installation guide/instructions?

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Same here. Always use shielded cables. I have 2 running to seperate boxes (1 of them Youview+ from BT). So far little to no issues with them.

0 Ratings