cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB
Expert
Message 1 of 17

(Covid-19) Will BT Reduce the bit rate or quality for steamed services?

Hopefully BT will not reduce the bit rate or quality for streamed video services. Can we have an assurance please?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT and coronavirus (Covid-19)

@ChrisB that's down to the service providers themselves ie Netflix, Prime etc as BT doesn't control their bitrates 

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 3 of 17

My understanding is that Prime, for example, will do it if ISPs ask. We don't want BT to ask! We want BT to assure us they won't ask.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

I very much doubt you would get any such assurance from any ISP. They will always give the best that they can given prevailing circumstances at the time.

If that means that in order to maintain a service they have to lower quality etc they will rather than lose the service altogether and given the circumstances as they now are I sure any reasonable person would rather have lower quality than no service at all.

garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

I don't think it's up to the ISP's as Netflix have already announced they're dropping the quality of their content

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 6 of 17

BT claim to have plenty of resilience in their network. The BBC ran the following yesterday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51974866

Perhaps they should be able to give that assurance given this story.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Given that BT have claimed to have resilience what difference will it make to your viewing if or if not BT give you an assurance. If they don't give you an assurance are you going to leave BT or just carry on watching your TV?

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 8 of 17

You're right and very cynical. Amazon Prime in HDR/Ultra HD is what I'd like untouched. I'm using an Android TV to watch this NOT the BT box. I'm considering Disney+ too that has UHD content.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Yes I am being cynical. It will be such a shame to have to watch it in HD or SD I just don't know how we'll manage!!!

Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

Personally speaking, I don't understand why anyone is concerned about bit rate or bandwidth. Surely all that matters currently is that people can use mobiles, landlines and the internet. No-one is going to die if you have to watch in HD or even SD.

I can't imagine that in the years to come the one thing that someone will be talking about is that in 2020 they had to endure HD/SD. 

Get a grip people, it's not the end of the world.