Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT and coronavirus (Covid-19)

I watch in SD all the time and I'm more than happy. 😀

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 17

I do not know the details but I think the BT multicast protocol puts less strain on the system. How this works out for live TV compared to streaming using the apps is another question.

I for one will continue to be recording as much (if not more) live TV to have available to watch during any potential extended home alone period.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Isn't it the case that there are so many possible causes of temporary quality loss that it's  almost impossible to tell whether a restriction has been introduced and, if so, by whom?

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 14 of 17

You probably want a nice 300 baud dial-up modem too and why not a B&W 405 line  TV? HD makes an enormous difference unless you're using a VERY small screen TV.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 15 of 17

@ChrisB  It seems like only yesterday I had a "B&W 405 line TV" and a dial up modem.

It really depends on what you want from your viewing. As with listening to music, some people like to hear knuckles crack and guitar strings squeak and buy expensive sound systems, and why not if that's what they want. I'm happy with a tranny grinding away in the mantelpiece, I'm  more interested in the music than quality of sound.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 17

@Dodewrote:

I'm happy with a tranny grinding away in the mantelpiece, .....

I'm sure I know what you mean @Dode but my imagination is getting a bit carried away 🤣

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 17 of 17

Disney are also to launch with reduced bitrates https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/03/disney-to-launch-with-reduced-bitrates.html

Now, sorry for sticking my nose in BUT, at this time of not only national but world crisis, surely the quality of a tv stream isn't in any way important. There are people dying out there, a lot of people, myself included missed their first ever Mother's Day with their mum. My elderly mum, like so many others, is terrified of coronavirus, not what quality her tv picture is.

Normally I'm a bit of a videophile, well more than a 'bit' as I get all my kit calibrated etc, but for now I'm just greatful I have something to watch thanks to BT/Sky/Netflix etc etc. Even with the drops in bitrate we're being told we are almost definitely still going to be getting HD quality so I wouldn't worry too much.

@Andy005wrote:

@Dodewrote:

I'm happy with a tranny grinding away in the mantelpiece, .....

I'm sure I know what you mean @Dode but my imagination is getting a bit carried away 🤣

Ooohhh Matron! 🤣