cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 22

Re: Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent pro...

Go to solution

Hi @Woodyboy35 moving your Hub to the telephone socket beside your youview box would be a good way to rule out the PLA's or your internal electrical wiring from the being the cause of the picture break up. Post back to let is know if this makes any difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 22

Re: Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent proble

Go to solution

Good luck trying to solve this problem have had an ongoing issue with the same problem since subscribing to BT TV especially on the sports channels. No sggestions have ever worked for me. Hence of to Sky when contract ends as at least there service is reliable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 22

Re: Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent proble

Go to solution

Not all PLAs are alike. A high throughput doesn't equal good performance for BT TV.

I had 2Gbps Linksys PLAs which passed over 100Mbps throughput, but they were dropping packets and had inconsistent latency which caused frequent sound problems like the OP has mentioned.

Changed to the BT Mini Connectors which are optimised for BT TV and the performance is much more consistent, with only the very occassionaly glitch.

This is the problem with PLAs and why you should use an ethernet cable connection if you possible can.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Morning Gents,

Update so far. I moved the Home Hub as suggested. After a few false starts and a couple of re-boots managed to get everything back in sync, that was Sunday morning. BT Sport HD and other channels all appear fine reception wise but will monitor over the next week, especially when a "popular" game is scheduled.

PLA's only now feed tower PC in the back room. Turned all other devices off ie. BT Vision box/mobiles/Alexa, I'd forgotten her last time. Carried out speedtest.net test from PC just now and results as follows. Ping 24mS, Download 8.61 Mbps, Upload 5.16 Mbps.  Laptop not currently available but will carryout additional checks using laptop from re-sited Home Hub later in the week and post the results.

Just as an aside, I do have 2 unused BT mini connector PLA's (obtained for a project which didn't get off the ground). They are each fitted with 2 Gig Ethernet ports.

1 question. Do the speed test results look to be inline with a BT Superfast Fibre 1 package quoted as having "Av. 50Mb download speed" ????

Many thanks to all the contributors,

Woodyboy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

The speed tests you've done certainly point to the PLAs or your mains circuitry being the issue.

I'd definitely try the BT mini connectors, that'll indicate whether it's the PLAs or your mains that is the problem.

With the sort of speed you were getting over the PLAs BT Sport in HD would certainly struggle.

Highlighted
Message 16 of 22

Re: Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent pro...

Go to solution

@Woodyboy35 I have to agree with @TimCurtis those speed test results indicate the PLA's or your internal electrical wiring is at fault as the connection is now where near what you get directly from the Hub. Post back to let is know how you get on with the mini connectors. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Tim, Neil, Colin et al,

BT Sport HD has been fine all week, waiting for Liverpool & Man U games this week for comparison.

Daughter with laptop arrived today. With nothing else running or switched on except Home Hub speedtest.net results were Ping 9, Download 74.78, Upload 16.59.

Switched on PC in the back room and ran speedtest.net from it. This was via original PLA's. Results were Ping 31, D/L 12.27, U/L 5.72.

Changed out the old PLA's for the newer "mini units", got them to sync and the results were very similar. The results via both sets of PLA's did seem to vary a fair bit between consecutive speed tests.

Certainly looks like it may be the mains wiring. I hasten to add that the house was rewired 8 yrs ago and the installation was fully part P'd. One thing that I have realised is that downstairs mains sockets is 2 separate "ring mains" so the PLA's aren't on the same ring.

I would like to keep this topic/thread open for a bit longer before closing it if that is ok.

Many thanks for your assistance & patience.

Regards, Woodyboy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

It's not unusual to have separate rings as in your case and it shouldn't make that much difference.

However, with modern consumer units it's not uncommon to have the unit "split" with each section having it's own switch & RCD. If the rings concerned are in a different half then that would cause a major issue for the PLAs.

What you might be able to do is have a wifi extender for the PC that can act as a client for said PC & plug the PC directly into that. As I'm guessing the Hub & PC would be relatively close to each other this could be a simple, cost effective solution for you. The only thing to remember is that the Hub can't transmit BT's internet channels wirelessly - other brands can btw - but that won't be an issue for you I think.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

@Woodyboy35

I thought I'd do a couple of tests with my PLAs.

My usual speeds , connected directly to my router are Ping - 9ms, D/L 48,U/L 10.

Through PLAs on the same ring virtually identical.

On separate rings Ping 9ms, D/L 32,U/L 10.  That's average speeds based on 4 tests.

This is with BT Broadband Extender Flex 600 kit.

Whether or not that's helpful I'm not sure but it does give some indication of the loss over separate rings, although nothing as bad as yours.

I use a Maginon Dual Band WiFi Repeater in client mode as another way of connecting wired devices to my router where I've not run ethernet cable. Works very well. You get these from Aldi when they're available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Hello Tim,

Latest update. V happy with reception on BT Sport HD over the last few nights so I think the problem is cracked.

I'm considering trying the Maginon WLR-510 Wi-Fi repeater to improve speed to PC.

Loaded speedtest.net onto my mobile to check Wi-Fi signal to adjacent PC in the rear lounge.

Average over 4 tests- Ping 19ms, Download 50Mbps, Upload 10Mbps.

I'll test both sets of PLA's on the same ring-main when Lap-top returns.

Do you want me to continue this post and include further test results or close it as I'm quite happy the problem has been located and the solution confirmed?

0 Ratings