cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Woodyboy35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent problems.

Go to solution

Sometimes the TV reception is great then at other times when a "popular" game is on the TV picture and sound start breaking up.

Contact BT helpline and got shunted to Calcutta. Tried all the normal stuff, re-tune channels, check for software updates, re-boot Home Hub, re-boot BT TV box, then phone line disconnects mysteriously ???? go to bed in disgust.

Try it again next day and all fine for a few days only for the same prob to happen again.

Currently on Superfast Fibre1 unlimited package (Quoted speed Average 50Mb)

Carried out BT speed test and BT exchange download speed result "GOOD".

BT Home Hub speed 69.7 Mb/s.

Any thoughts peeps?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent proble

Go to solution

You should not get a disconnection on your phone line, as that would indicate a possible line fault which would interrupt the connection.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements. Also check it when you get problems with the BT HD stream.

Woodyboy35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Re: Currently trialing BT HD mainly for watching the football. Seem to be having intermittent proble

Go to solution
Hi Keith, when I mentioned the “disconnection” during the call to Calcutta I think that was because the person I was talking to had run out of ideas or got to the bottom of his “help” script. I will bear your comments in mind the next time the problem occurs. Certainly our recent landline calls have been fine. Thanks 👍
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

How is the Youview box connected to the router?

Woodyboy35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
Hi Tim,
Via mains plug extenders. Home hub is in one room and BT TV box is in another.
Does the BT speed test results look ok for the BT package we are on?
Regards, Martin.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

@Woodyboy35

Martin, plug extenders can often be the problem as the speed available is a factor of the mains circuitry.

Are you able to connect a laptop into the extender that the Youview box uses and run a speed test from there?

Also what extenders , commonly known as Powerline Adapters (PLAs), are you using?

Hopefully the PLAs are plugged directly into the wall socket & not via any form of extension.

0 Ratings
Woodyboy35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Tim,

Sorry for late reply, got diverted onto other tasks...!!!!

Thanks for your help/suggestions so far.

I haven't got a laptop myself but hoping to carryout the test suggested over this weekend.

The PLA's we have are directly into individual wall sockets with nothing else "mains" fed from them.

For info, the equipment we have at the moment is as follows....

BT Home Hub 5 TypeA.

BT You-View box Model Code 91-00438.

PLA's 2-off. ComTrend (Black Oblong).

We are monitoring the HD channels (Esp BT Sport) to see if there is any obvious trend to when the TV picture/sound starts breaking up.

I was toying with the idea of changing the physical position of the Home Hub/phone line micro-filter to adjacent the You-View box as there is an adjacent phone socket and then connect Home Hub and You-View box direct with HDMI lead. Use second Home Hub port to feed PLA and feed my computer off the second PLA both of which are in the adjacent room where Home Hub is at present.....if that makes sense..!!!!!!

Many thanks, WoodyBoy.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@Woodyboy35

Yes that does makes sense in that whilst you might lose some internet speed by connecting from a phone extension socket - if that does actually work & the speed drop is not too significant - you could then run a speed test from your PC , now connected via PLAs to check the speed over the mains circuit - if that makes sense.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest this as a long term solution but it might help get to the root of the problem.

0 Ratings
Woodyboy35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Tim,

Thats me back again.

Speed check results as follows.

1) Carried out a WHICH website speed test via my PC with no other wi-fi being used in the house ie mob phones and My BT box switched off. Resp Time (Latency) 168ms. Download 64.7 Mbps. Upload 17.6 Mbps.

2) Ran BT website speed test. "BT Exchange Download" Broadband speed is GOOD. BT HOME HUB 73.7Mb/s.

3) Switched PC off, went to the PLA in the other room and disconnected the HDMI cable which feeds the My BT box. Plugged into the PLA HDMI port with an HDMI cable to laptop. Ran WHICH website speed test and results were~         Resp Time (Latency) 132 ms. Download 31.1 Mb/s. Upload 16.8 Mb/s.

What do you think before I swap the location of the Home Hub?

Regards,

Martin. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

The latency figures are very high , should be in the region of 10 - 20ms but that could well be the WHICH website.

I'd try speedtest.net personally.

Certainly there seems to be adequate bandwidth over the PLAs so that shouldn't be an issue unless there's something that's causing intermitent interference.  Could that ring a bell?

You're not using HDMI cables btw , they're ethernet cables so best to refer to them as that Smiley Happy

I'd say go ahead with the Hub move and re-run your test , but don't use the WHICH website.

0 Ratings