cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cliffhackett
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Data usage rocketing with smart TV and YouView

Have had BT VISION for sometime and have used around 6th regularly. Bought a new Samsung smart HDTV midmonth and ordered You View  and upgraded to infinity. Noticed that data usage increased to 11GB last month (before delivery of you view and infinity). 3days into this month and it looks as though usage is going to break our 20GB limit. 

How can I track the source of the downloads, which sites/services are they coming from, which devices are they going to? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
cliffhackett
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Data usage rocketing with smart TV and YouView

For

around 6th regularly

Read

around 6GB regularly

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

You might be seeing the incorrect usage mentioned in the broadband usage section of the MyBT web site.

What about YouView usage?

If you are a YouView customer and subscribe to BT Vision, you will not be charged for any YouView usage. However, due to technical reasons, some YouView content is currently contributing to the usage monitor even though it's exempt.

We realise that this is confusing and makes the broadband usage monitor inaccurate. However, we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

0 Ratings
helpfulguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

it needs to be conected to the internet for the programs to be delivered to your set top box hence this is a possibility
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Also if you are watching stuff straight from the smart TV on the samsung rather than from the youview box that will still count. Make sure if you are using stuff like iPlayer that you do it via the youview box rather than from the smart TV directly.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

I also noticed that according to My BT my chargeable usage had increased by a large amount, so I recorded 3hours of BT sport HD and then checked after the MY BT usage had been updated(usually after 24 hours)  and it was all shown as chargeable.

I was quite happy when the monitor was not working, I now face the prospect of an argument when I watch a lot of IP TV

, can we please return to the previous, non working, state.

0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

I know - it feels like a bit of a scam, doesn't it.
0 Ratings