cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Demand email from BT title subject "You need to return your kit"

The content of the email from BT to me is inconsistent with the email subject.

The content implied that I didn't need my Youview box anymore. However I do need it.

I am no longer a BT customer having cancelled my contract last month after 12 months from the start of the 12 months contract.

I contracted with BT to obtain my Youview box by paying for it monthly for 12 months. BT had informed me when I obtained the box that after 12 months I could keep it.

That twelve month period has now expired so I will be keeping my Youview box and will not be sending it back to BT.

I am not happy with such pressure tactics from BT.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Demand email from BT title subject "You need to return your kit"

BT are rather sneaky, telling that you need to return things that actually belong to you.

The people worst off are those who cancel early.  They get told they need to return the YouView box.  Shortly after, they get a bill for the box because they cancelled early.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I switched to BT from TalkTalk in January 2016 seduced by BT's very attractive deal at the time.
Given my experience with BT after I had switched to them
( Read all about the saga that had run since 20th February 2016 or earlier here
https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Love2Shop-Voucher/td-p/1600551 )

I have now switched to another provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

The only circumstance where you need to return your box is when you cancel during contract but don't get charged for it
For example cancellation following price increases during contract period otherwise there is no reason to return anything as you would have paid for it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Re: Demand email from BT title subject "You need to return your kit". BT doesn't give up !

I have received more pressure from BT today for me to return MY Youview box that I have paid for over 12 months.

A letter arrived today stating that I didn't need my BT equipment (Youview box). That is clearly not the case because I use it as a Personal Video Recorder and I have fully paid for it.

What concerns me is that some individuals more naive that I might bend to BT's pressure regarding similar letters or emails.

No. I am not going to return my box so that BT can refurbish it and flog it to someone else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Re: Demand email from BT title subject "You need to return your kit". BT doesn't give up !

BT simply recyle it, as they are obliged to offer that service under the WEEE directive.

It would not be worth refurbishing it, as the cost to do that would vastly exceed the cost that BT pay for a new unit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

BT simply recyle it, as they are obliged to offer that service under the WEEE directive.

It would not be worth refurbishing it, as the cost to do that would vastly exceed the cost that BT pay for a new unit.

What makes you think that?  BT often sends out refurbished units as warranty replacements.  I can imagine them resetting the box to factory defaults, giving it a quick clean, and shipping it out to another customer.

0 Ratings