cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Different variants of T4000 box

I'm after purchasing another T4000 for a second TV in the house, and I've noticed there's some differences (the new BT logo, 500Gb HDD as opposed to 1Tb etc). Which one is the newest, and other than the varying appearance and HDD capacity, are there other differences between revisions? I.e is it worth buying one model over another? Also, if there are no differences, why are BT still ordering the manufacture of boxes using 5 year old hardware that lacks HDR?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Different variants of T4000 box

Hi @av-115 

I believe the 500GB variant started to be distributed in March 2019.

The BT Logo change was announced in May 2019 with an expected deployment across the business by end Aug 2019.

I  am not aware of the T4000 having a retail variant as it has always been a box intended for distribution with BT TV subscriptions. So if buying one you would be well advised to look closely at sellers descriptions and the warranty and guarantees if any that they offer.

From a point in December 2019 the TV boxes provided to BT TV subscribers have been on a loaned basis so BT retain ownership of the box with the box being required to be returned upon termination of the TV contract.

typically the T4000 was the box for receiving the BT TV 4k Sports channel and so it’s distribution was focused on those able to and willing to subscribe to that channel. 

over time  the T4000 has been made available to Fibre customers which enables them to use the box to view content in 4K from the  Netflix , Prime Video  Players.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

@zulu17 

Thank you very much for your reply. I have a couple more questions. I've noticed on an ebay listing for one of the newer T4000 boxes (still old BT logo but 500Gb HDD), one of the pictures in the listing shows the picture and sound settings page and an option for "UHD 50fps 10bit". Does this mean that particular variant is capable of HDR?

Also with regards to BT now retaining ownership of the hardware for contracts taken out since Dec 19, do BT 'lock' the hardware down if the account holder defaults on paying the bill similar to contract mobile phones i.e is there a chance I could get stung by purchasing one of these newer boxes? I do intend on using this box for my Plusnet TV sub in the near future.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 5

@av-115 none of the Humax supplied BT Youview boxes support HDR. I'm not aware of any other Youview box suppliers having a HDR compatible box on the market either

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

The HDMI Display settings on the T4000 range from 720p , 1080i, 1080p, UHD 50fps 8 bit and UHD 50fps 10 bit.

The box does not have HDR capabilities.

Youview boxes (including the T4000) are not locked. There are different skins provided based upon the ISP the box is connected to , so effectively if on a BT connection  you would see a BT skin , on TalkTalk a Talktalk skin  or otherwise a unbranded skin.

With your stated intentionss you may wish to visit either the Plusnet or Youview own communities.

0 Ratings