cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murphy83
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Digital channel signal strength problems

Hi, hope someone can help. Having issues with picture breakup on the freeview HD channels. Watchable but annoying. Signal strength for these channels is about 40% (with 100% signal quality).

If I plug aerial straight into Samsung TV then I get no breakup & approx 70% signal strength for the HD channels.

As I understsnd, the youview box needs a stronger signal, so my question is how do I get a stronger signal to the box (I already have very good quality aerial lead & live in flats so can't do anything to aerial)?

Thanks
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital channel signal strength problems

Does the aerial feed go into YouView box first?

Have you tried moving the aerial cable away from the HDMI cable?

How old is the aerial flylead - the cable that plugs into your aerial socket on wall to YouView box?

I've found that YouView can be very temperamental to the quality and route of this cable.

You could always try a cheap signal booster from e.g. amazon, argos, maplin etc.

See: https://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/Can-I-use-an-aerial-signal-booster-13708643067...

but I'd experiment with the moving the aerial flylead around in the first instance to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
murphy83
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks, will try a booster, aerial was plugged strisght into box, fly lead is about 6 months old. Have tried moving HDMI lead with no luck.

Was having no probs until recently & nothing in my set up has changed, so a bit puzzled. Have checked & no one in my building is having any issues either.
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

I ended up having to use a shielded flylead but even then if I move it a few cm I can end up losing the freeview HD channels.

Take a look at: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/help_and_advice/engineering_works

to see if there is work going on in your area before you try a booster.

Also check if you have any duplicate channels on your YouView box - I think they are normally in the 800s range - in case it has picked up signals from more than one transmitter.

You could always try a channel rescan to see if that helps.

Curious that it worked before but not now which suggests that something has changed.

murphy83
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

OK so I got a booster, which boosted signal strength on the HD channels to 70% (seems to fluctuate whilst I'm looking at it up & down a few percent, is that normal?), however still have same problem, although the breakup is only very occasionally.

What I don't get is that there is no problem when the aerial is plugged directly into the TV only, with similar signal strength. Could my youview box be faulty (as I now should have ample signal strength)?

Also I have a 10m run from aerial to the TV, should the booster be near the aerial faceplate or the TV?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Your best option is a masthead amplifier that goes close to the aerial outdoor. Then you keep the power supply indoor close to your box and feed your box from it. This assumes you can get access to the aerial. Putting a booster close to the box does not improve signal quality and should be avoided. The masthead improves the signal close to the antenna where is clean. Before investing in kit are you sure your aerial is good and has thr correct bearing?
0 Ratings
Holgate001
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

We had a similar problem and also live in an apartment with a communial aerial. We have a TV socket in the bedroom that got its signal from a "piggyback splitter" from the lounge socket. What I did was to plug the youview box directly into the lounge aerial socket removing the "piggyback splitter" and plug the cable to the bedroom socket to the aerial out socket into the youview box. This cured our problem. Hope this makes sense and is of some help in your case. 

0 Ratings