cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 12

Direction for BT Television

What are your thoughts? My own personal opinion is that the service lost its way when it went into bidding for Sports. When the service started with BT Vision it was a great service with lots of On Demand viewing, a novelty at the time. Now it’s got a poor subset of satellite channels something I’m not terribly interested in. Yes Netflix and Prime are on the box but that’s not a BT contribution. With viewers leaving, if you were in charge where would you take the pkatform in the future?

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Direction for BT Television

Individuals answers will vary according to their interests. For example I only subscribe to BT TV for its coverage of Rugby Union. My (our) main viewing is via a Freeview TV, a Humax Freesat box and streamed offerings from Netflix and Amazon Prime with occasional Now TV sport passes. So if BT TV could incorporate all or most of that in HD or 4K transmissions then I could be persuaded to upgrade if the price was reasonable. But what are the chances of that?
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 3 of 12

I never had BT Vision when it first started for I held off till BT had the Freeview HD channels.

I have only ever had BT TV with a Youview box. I did like the old BT TV Film and TV Box Set service that I used to subcribe to for over a year before BT closed the service. Shame they still dont have the service. OK I have been using Netflix for well over 2 years now but did liked the old BT TV Film and Box Set service. 

BT TV as well as Youview have improved over the years but are still falling a little behind tech wise when it cames to the likes of the two other big pay TV companies.

Darren

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

I think the lack of WiFi and the lack of BT streaming content is a big turn off. What they need to offer as they did in the past was provide something unique in the market place and not be in competition with Sky. There is a lack of competition for TV viewing in reality in my opinion. What I want is advert free viewing which of course I can get from Netflix and Amazon Prime and used to get from BT Vision. Just my thoughts I am not trying to have a go but rather a discussion.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 12

Stuart, looking back, what we had under BT Vision was ground breaking in a way. Lots of VOD on demand, catch up - a lot of which is the basis of Netflix, Anazon etc.

At the time though BT was transfixed on competing directly with Sky, rather sticking to being niche. Times have changed and now BT & Sky are getting along and both have seen the benefits from at least spending less on sports rights. 

I believe BT should have continued with their on BT platform as the benefits of joining Youview have not materialised- in fact Youview is now largely BT & Talk-talk with all the players offering adverts all over the place - unlike BT Vision.

BT direction should now be allowing other parties to join, Now TV, Amazon Prime, You tube, Eleven Sports and act  as a portal to other providers with a slimmed down BT Sports channel. Concentrating on customer service, something BT continually says it is doing but no one has actually seen the benefits.

Stew

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

This is a great question, and one I'm sure BT themselves are currently dealing with.

However, the answer is more complex and challenging then first appears...

BT have for some time now looked to establish a TV service, as others have mentioned, there was the original BT Vision service, then BT Youview, and now a more concerted effort towards online apps, such as the very nice BT Sports and BT TV apps, in addition, there have been recent content strategies around capturing key sporting events and delivering selected programming in 4K.

However, while the technologies have evolved and content strategy changed focus, there continues to be one common theme to BT TV, and that is the failure to take off and grow commercial in the way BT needs for the service to generate the profits it needs.

Try as they may, BT TV has constantly remained in third placing, behind Sky, and Virgin Media.

BT TV subscriber numbers continue to stagnate, at around 1.75 million, while Sky UK and Ireland subscribers total around 12 million, and Virgin Media subscribers totalling somewhere around 5 million... (all TV service subscriber numbers, not broadband or cable...).

So BT TV is tiny... and it's showing no signs of growth, in fact, recent figures show BT TV subscriber numbers falling slightly...

So when we take BT TV subscriber numbers into context, and compare that to the huge investment BT have made in Youview and sports programming, you can see the problem, as a commercial entity within BT, BT TV is tiny, and even with massive amounts of investment from BT, commercial growth is not happening , so we come to original question... Direction for BT TV...?

BT TV's future is, unfortunately troubled, and will continue to stay that way until BT tackles the wider and deeper rooted issues within BT itself. The problem BT has is a failure to unravel and commercialize it's business. BT is a large and complex corporation, slow moving, and very, very expensive to run. BT TV, in the past, in the present, and even in the future, is still part of the complex BT corporation. If BT TV was a separate company, having to stand on it's own two feet and pay it's own bills, BT TV would by now either have closed down, or would be growing...

BT TV is just another part of BT's massive portfolio of products and services, and it is run like any other division of a large complex corporation, in truth, BT TV lacks vision, it's not agile, and most importantly, it's not commercial.

Take the name of the service, "BT TV"....! If anything screams corporate stagnation, that does... no creative vision, no leading edge branding, no inspirational consumer promise... "well it's a TV service... and it's going to be from BT... so let's call it BT TV" and add it to the hundreds of other products and services we maintain.

BT TV lacks true identity, it's constantly moves it's position in the market in vague attempts at seeing what will catch alight... try a niche low cost service... try going big on sports... try freeview topped up with Internet channels... try 4K, try targeting young and mobile viewers with TV and sport apps... many will have seen all of these as just BT TV expanding and growing it's service... but as investors and commercial directors will know, they are simply desperate attempts at working out how to grow the service commercially... but the problem is that it's leads to a confused business, with multiple profit and loss centres, and investment that is spread thinly across too many activities.

BT have recently signalled that it no longer intends to compete on cost alone, and is seeking to get more revenue from each paying customer... commercially that makes perfect sense, however, it can be a dangerous business strategy if not approached carefully and with a proper, well thought out plan... simply trying to get more money out of a subscriber without providing a true increase in both value and what the service offers will simply either drive customers away or allow competitors to poach them by offering a cheaper, more focused service...

So what should BT do? There is no quick fix, but BT must break BT TV out from it's main corporate structure and establish it as business within a business, independent finance, directors, technology, etc..

Once separated, it must rebrand around a proper long term commercial vision, no more corporate BT TV!

It needs to consolidate it's service down to a core set of unique features that have both value for consumers and that BT TV can own against it's competitors... focusing investment, marketing, and customer service around those and only those..

It needs to be agile, buying in everything... technology, infrastructure, programming...

And I could go on and on...

But what would all of this look like... well I have a good idea... but what we all really want to know is does BT...???

Stevek1311
Expert
Message 7 of 12

I'd say there are two angles on this

Is the BT Sports fare a factor in my loyalty to BT as Phone/Broadband provided?  Yes

Is BT TV with or without BT Sports on my Youview box a factor in my loyalty?  Not at all.  I direct my BT Sports subscription to one of my Sky boxes.  Frankly why would I choose to watch hgh grade sport on a second division recorder

So what would I recommend were I were to meet with head of BT Strategy?  Give up, you lost, fight the battles you can win.  You gambled on a half baked and half funded plan to make BT/YouView a Sly-Q equivalent and your partner let you down big time.  Focus on being a Phone line and broadband provider and if you really want to use packaged and part packaged content as a lever then unbundle your selves from the platform market

Either that or throw real money and proper management at a complete takeover of the YouView company.  Buying it will be cheap, fixing it will not  

srpsrp
Expert
Message 8 of 12

It's simple really, I had Sky for 20 years before I decided enough was enough with their constant price rises. I was very happy with BTTV for 2 years since it basically did what I wanted and had the channels I wanted and was at a reasonable price ( compared to Sky I guess). The update bought a lot of unwanted annoiances and little in the way of improvements that I really cared about. 

You forget how annoyingly bad some of BT TV's problems are until you try out some of the other current alternatives. Why should I pay for an 18 month contract so I can make and organise recordings whilst on contract when this feature is at best poorly put together and at worst simply not a cohesive fit for purpose working solution.

As it stands the only reason to keep BT would be for the National Geographic channel, if I were a gambling man I'd bet a few quid on that turning up on Prime shortly ( Discovery and Nat Geo wild are on Now TV already which can be had for £4 a month if you buy passes from online)

Personally I think if BT want to keep people paying out for 18 month subscriptions they will have to get a proper, user experience tested solution. Also the other reason I left sky was the feeling that I was paying money for all the football which I don't really watch, so BT will have to offer packages that do not force pricey football subs.  on to people who simply are not interested in it which Sky appear to have done with there package options now. My BT account closed yesterday BTW, Vodafone broadband is up and running 🙂

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

So in one review somebody says how wonderful sky is and how big thier numbers are and in another someone says how costly they are and they couldn’t wait to leave them. Everyone also forgets BT Sport is also sold on both virgin and sky services and hence makes money there, in pubs and clubs and advertising revenue. BT Sport is about a lot more than just growing BTTV subscriptions. Again through all this if you look at the recent results you can see Consumer (which includes BTTV) is the only unit growing revenue quarter on quarter.
The TV service is something BT could do without but need to offer to encourage quad play package and spend per customer growth. They have tried to offer individual things (sport/amc) but it is to costly for a small user base so the best way is to offer universal access (with universal searching) and let the bigger players with massive global subscriptions offer the content. Most people will still want recordable channels which is something lacking on pure streaming services with added channels like amazon.
BT have clearly stated going forwards they are looking to be an aggregator not a Supplier. Whether that is the right thing or not we will have to see but one thing is for sure if it doesn’t take off it will be a lot less costly than trying to go alone with purchases
Highlighted
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

@stuartrogersonwrote:

What are your thoughts? My own personal opinion is that the service lost its way when it went into bidding for Sports. When the service started with BT Vision it was a great service with lots of On Demand viewing, a novelty at the time. Now it’s got a poor subset of satellite channels something I’m not terribly interested in. Yes Netflix and Prime are on the box but that’s not a BT contribution. With viewers leaving, if you were in charge where would you take the pkatform in the future?

What a  random question, whilst throwing a personal opinion in there. Therein lies your answer. Each to their own.

0 Ratings