cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodT
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Do BT TV Boxes fail?

I would attach a screenshot from Tv but photo is too large!

basically box opens in Maintenance Mode only. I have tried 3 options but do not want to lose all my many hours of recordings so not the other two .

I have also tried the usual unplug and reboot with no success. Internet connection to tv is OK.

anyone know what can be done please.

Rod

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Do BT TV Boxes fail?

It has a hard drive which spins, anything that moves can wear out over time, hard drives can also be corrupted which is why they can be reset, it wipes the disk, re-applies the firmware but other things can be a factor, they attract dust which clogs it up, making it get hotter.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

@RodT 

What is actually happening or not happening?

0 Ratings
RodT
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

As I said it only opens in Maintenance mode. So basically nothing works!
0 Ratings
RodT
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

BT have now completed diagnostic tests and are replacing the box.

it is half full of hours of recordings. Does anyone know if there is any way to transfer them from its hard disc. I see there is a usb socket on the back of the box.

More in hope than expectation

Rod

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 6 of 11

You cant transfer recordings. I lost some of my recordings over a year ago when my BT Youview box died.

I now have two BT Youview boxes. One I got from BT and the other is a BT Youview retail box.

I do find the BT Youview boxes do last for a good few years but like everything they do give up the ghost though time.

Darren

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@RodT 

It is possible to retrieve the recordings BUT it isn't easy and can only be done for those in SD.

However, if they are retrieved they can't be transferred to another Youview box but could be viewed on a PC or Smart TV with a media player app.

Basically it's a case of removing the drive and mounting on a PC that's booted into a Linux/Ubuntu operating system and then transferring the recordings to a flash drive or the PC's drive.

If you want to take this approach then I'll post back with much more detail.

0 Ratings
RodT
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks Tim. I appreciate your offer and I would like to try that. I have recovered a hard drive from a laptop a few years ago. But I don’t have Ubuntu/linux. So whilst I would love to see your solution in detail I guess I could only try it via Windows.

Rod

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

@RodT 

I don't have an Ubuntu system but I just used an Ubuntu boot disc. So if you're happy to try that then I'll do a write up & PM you later with more details.

0 Ratings
RodT
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Yes please. I hope not too much trouble.
0 Ratings