Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 1 of 120

Do I own my BT Youview box?

I've recently left BT after my phone, broadband and YouView contracts were up.

I took BT Viison Essential with a YouView box on 26 October 2012, and my services with BT terminated this year on 9 November.

I have a transcript of a "chat" with a BT representative that confirms my phone and Broadband are out of contrcat and that the BT vision contract expired on 26 October this year.

The BT TV terms and conditions that I downloaded when I took the BT Vision service clearly say:-

"Unless you cancel your agreement as set out in paragraphs 10 and 11 of the Residential Standard Terms, you
will own the Set Top Box and any other equipment needed to use the service from the date you receive it."

(Residential standard terms paras 10 and 11 refer to early cancellation within the cooling off period, not cancellation within or outside contract period.)

and, in relation to the "deferred payment" for the YouView box:-

"The deferred payment is no longer payable after you have received the service for 12 months or more from the
date that your BT Vision order was accepted by BT."

My latest BT account and bill shows a credit for the line rental, broadband and BT Vision services from 9/11/13 and my account is therefore in credit pending BT paying me back.

However, BT have sent a returns bag and texted me to say I haven't returned "the kit". They have never actually asked me to return anything until I got the text.

When i called to ask what they want back, the man said they wanted all BT supplied equipment, the Home Hub 2 and the YouView box. He seemed totally ignorant of the terms and conditions document.

If the contract says I own it, how can they expect it back?

I am quite happy to return the Homehub 2 as that never worked properly anyway.

Has anyone else had this?

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
119 REPLIES 119
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

Hi Axoloti,

Thanks for the post.  Sorry to hear of the confusion we are causing here.

The text you receive from BT chasing the return of equipment is auto generated so there is something on your account triggering this to be sent.  I can look into this for you and see why you are being chased and more importantly I can take measures to stop this.

Please drop me an email and I will get the ball moving.  Click on my username (SeanD) and you will find my contact link under the 'About me' section.  Please include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 3 of 120

Thanks for quick response.

Can't see any e-mail link on your profile so have sent you a PM instead with details.

If you want an actual e-mail could you PM me your address?

Thx.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 120

That was th correct procedure. Sean will get it, and don't worry if all you say is accurate all tbe equipment is yours.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 5 of 120

thanks. In fact he wanted an "e-mail to moderators" form filled in so he/they can track it as a problem. I have now done that. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 6 of 120

Just an update to close this and for future info if anyone else has the same issue.

I missed a call from BT tonight, then got an e-mail from one of the mods here confirming I don't have to return the Youview box. As follows.

<<I wanted to let you know that I have stopped the follow up for the Youview box as I can clearly see you had the service for over 12 months and were no longer in contract. We normally only request equipment is returned if you cancel within contract and it is not clear exactly why this has happened from the account notes so you don't need to return this to BT if we required this back returns packaging would have been automatically sent and as this didn't happen I think the letter has been sent to you in error.

I've cancelled the follow up so no further letters will be sent but I can't stop the returns kit being sent as this has already been posted so you can dispose of that when it arrives and keep the Youview box. I hope this is OK?>>

I'm hoping this is indeed the end of it.

It did occur to me that the original YouView box was replaced by BT about a month after I got it because the first one locked up after a failed software update. I wonder if that triggered the return request, because I had the replacement less than 12 months?

Anyway, the man says I can keep it.

That's good, thanks.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
shell820810
Contributor
Message 7 of 120

I have also had this problem.  I double checked with them twice that I would be out of contract when everything was moved over to Sky and unexpectedly received the email this morning. 

0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 8 of 120

I'm sorry to hear that, but sort of pleased in a way that it isn't just me.

From my experience, it is no use trying to phone BT support as all you get is "computer says no". Even trying to explain the problem was an uphill struggle.

I hope one of the moderators will pick up your post so you can contact them here about it. Maybe they can work the same magic as they did for me?

If nothing appears here in a day or so, try starting a separate thread about it to make it clear it is a new problem.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Bodders
Beginner
Message 9 of 120

...and that is their position this morning! I've just receeived the 'please return the box' email as I decided to terminate the BT Vision package after 12 months as I was not using it. Their position is that you either pay £5 a month or send it back to us as it is ours.

So I said you're welcome to it.

Bodders 

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 120

There are no ifs or buts about this. If you are out of contract, you own the Youview box. That is it.

0 Ratings