cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

I phoned to cancel my You View Essentials when the contract was up. The general BT call handler told a pack of lies about what would happen to the box. I was told that if it wasn't connected to a BT connection nothing would work, the EPG would fail, recordings would be lost, and it would simply work as a Freeview receiver.

I had to ring the YouView team to confirm that the box would continue to work as normal, apart from access to BT content. Even they were vague on some things.

Eventually I put a complaint on BT's Facebook page and finally got an apology and a substantial discount for being fibbed to.

The box will behave like any Humax box you can buy from an electrical , it just seems to be either bad staff training, or possibly staff wanting to retain customers at any cost.

0 Ratings
jat59
Beginner
Message 12 of 120

I have also just cancelled my BT TV subscription after the 12 month contract and have been sent an email saying that I need to return the YouView box, and was told over the phone that the YouView services would no longer function, in particular the catch up services. 

I am keen to have these emails stopped. How do I go about this?

I was just on hold for 23minutes calling BT to then be told that the person I got through to was not trained on TV and I needed to be transfered to someone else. I gave up. 

Thanks, James

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 120

You could just mark them as spam. 😉 the box is yours,

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 14 of 120

I can only suggest that you try what I did, "e-mail moderators" from one of the moderators profile pages, and link to this thread, and they should pick it up and run with it.

I have had no further trouble from BT since they got involved.

It seems obvious that BT are trying it on when it comes to asking people to return a box that BT doesn't own.

As far as the box working etc., yes, it continues to work just like a retail box would, with one exception so far: software upgrades and updates come along on BT's roll-out schedule, not the retail schedule, so if you follow the Youview community pages on their forum, you need to look for BT update information rather than retail ones to know what version of software to expect on your (ex-BT) box.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 15 of 120

Sorry, tried to reply to you, but managed to reply to my own post at the start of the thread.

If you go back to the start of this thread you can see my suggestion.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 120

When I cancelled TV Essentials recently the young lady that I dealt with was fully informed & never suggested returning the box or that normal functions wouldn't work any longer.

When I phoned there was a long wait time so I opted for a call back which happened with 5 minutes , maybe those calling back are better trained.

0 Ratings
S77
Message 17 of 120

My contract is being stopped for the BT Essentials after the 12 month period on 22 January 13.

However got anemail from them and also text saying:

We're sorry you no longer need your BT equipment.

If you've already sent your equipment back to us, or if you've arranged a free collection, you can ignore this email.

If you haven't, you need to send back your BT equipment. We've sent you a pre-paid swap box or returns bag so you can send back the kit listed below.

We'll reuse it or recycle it in a UK centre, which helps us cut down waste and put all the working parts to good use again.

Product  
YouView box (Humax) 
Powerline Adaptor Pair

I feel it is scare tactics so you keep paying them £5 a month. I have phoned twice and did online chat about it.

They say it is done automatically and ignore it but I'm not happy about it.

Their original contract given me 12 months ago stated:

If we've given you some equipment for your new service

Keep your new service for 12 months from the date we accept your order and there's no charge for your kit - it's on us.

Your BT Vision starts on: 22 Jan 2013

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 18 of 120

It is not a scare tactic. As BT are a provider of electrical equipment, BT have to offer to recycle equipment that the customer does not want/ need.
0 Ratings
S77
Message 19 of 120

Thanks for reply.

BT state "you need to return the box..." Their email and text should say "the box is now yours after the 12 months but if you don't want it any longer then send it back and we'll recycle. " I'm a great believer in recycling and am quite capable of doing so myself.

I don't think it is anything other than trying to scare people to remain with paying their monthly £5.

I was also told that none of the rewind, record and playback would work anymore which was also mistaken as a later BT person acknowledged.

Pretty obvious the "you need...." is deliberate pressure on people and untrue according to the BT contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 120

Stew is correct it is the action of a responsible supplier of electrical equipment which must be recycled in accordance with the law.

Sky didn't bother when I cancelled I had to take the box to the recycling centre. If you are keeping the box then you can ignore the email/letters

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings