cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

"You *need to* send back your equipment" doesn't mean "You *can* send back your equipment".

It does seem as if BT are being a little naughty.
Guru
Message 22 of 120

"You need to" that's in order to get it there. "You can" won't.

You are creating something out of nothing.
0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 120

Maybe. But the email clearly says that you *must* return your box; no two ways about it.

"If you've already sent your equipment back to us, or if you've arranged a free collection, you can ignore this email.

If you haven't, you need to send back your BT equipment."

On its own, it could be a simple mistake. Taken together with customer services' well-documented insistence that the box won't work any more if you end your subscription, it looks a little suspect.
Twogaterz
Message 24 of 120

I recently cancelled my BT Vision/broadband account (at the end of the contract period) and I received an email entitled "You need to return your kit" although the text in the email states 'We are sorry you no longer need your BT equipment' It goes on to say 'You can follow the instructions..." so hopefully this is just to encourage the return rather than enforcing it. I've loads of recordings I haven't watched so really don't want to return it! You can still see everything with no problem - it just shows my new provider now not BT on the EPG.

Highlighted
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 25 of 120

I still think the BT message is very misleading, and could make some people return their boxes unnecessarily.

It certainly caused me some distress until I had sorted out the truth.

If you are out of contract, you own the box. Simple as that. The BT message is about returning unwanted electronic equipment for disposal under their WEE responsibilities. It doesn't make that clear.

It should say "IF you no longer want the equipment you MAY return it to us for disposal".

I am getting more and more fed up with communications from all sorts of suppliers (not jt BT) that are badly written and seem to jump straight to threats instead of explaining what is actually happening and why. Whenever possible, I simply vote with my feet and take by custom elsewhere. If enough people did that, maybe things would get better.

I blame the parents...Cat Happy

Cheers,

Axolotl
cthatcham
Contributor
Message 26 of 120

I've noticed that BT even have this on monthly bills:

"BT TV EssentialW26 Feb-25 Mar 14 £ 5.00
This is the cost of your TV at £5.00 a month, charged in advance from 26
Feb 2014 to 25 Mar 2014
Watch catch up TV and pause, rewind and record Freeview"

The wording would tend to imply that you need to continue the £5 per month TV essential membership to be able to watch catch up tv and pause, rewind and record Freeview - which we all know is factually incorrect !!

0 Ratings
Mark_G1
Message 27 of 120

Hi Sean,

I'm having the same issue as Axoloti. Can you help if I provide my account details please?

Thanks.

Mark_G1

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 28 of 120

Hi Mark_G1,

Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry for the confusion over your equipment. I can help you with this from here. Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Please include the link to this thread when you complete the form and whenever we've received your details we'll take it from there.

Thanks

PaulK

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 120

I've just cancelled my YouView and received an email telling me I would no longer be able to watch free to air HD channels.
Tosh of course but made me rather sad.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Guru
Message 30 of 120

End of an era Stuart?

0 Ratings