Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

Yes Stew indeed. still have box but no longer subscribe,

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 32 of 120

I would have thoiught that after the 12 or 18 months contract the box would have been ours to keep.

Cant see BT wanting the old style Youview box back.

My 12 month BT TV contract will be about up came the end of the year and I going to see if they will give me the new G4 box and Home Hub 5 if i renew the contract.

I will ask ask if I can get TV, Phone and Infinity all in one package with a sort of discount.

The now I got Phone plus Infinity 2 in one package with £3.50 a month discount and another package for BT TV with Youview plus 3 bolt ons. 

Darren

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 33 of 120

Darren, after your initial contract period has finished, the box is yours to keep. Despite the CS staff and it would seem some of the letters/emails the Youview box will continue to work as a Freeview box, PVR and Freeview HD receiver. You just lose the BT content.

Stew
0 Ratings
Mark_G1
Message 34 of 120

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your prompt response. I have sent the message as directed.

Mark_G1

0 Ratings
edward2910
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 120

Sorry StewM - it's not something out of nothing. It's an email which is deliberately worded to mislead customers, and I fear that many people will fall for it. 😞
0 Ratings
ptrinder
Message 36 of 120

Hi

I've just received the same email ... I wonder if PaulK would be able to help with this, too?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 120

You don't need to do anything. The box is yours.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
canman
Beginner
Message 38 of 120

Hi Axolotl, I'm due to end my contract and noticed the ownership issue of the youview box. I remember the advertising saying it was mine after 12 months but when looking at the current T&Cs cannot find your references:

"Unless you cancel your agreement as set out in paragraphs 10 and 11 of the Residential Standard Terms, you
will own the Set Top Box and any other equipment needed to use the service from the date you receive it."

& "The deferred payment is no longer payable after you have received the service for 12 months or more from the
date that your BT Vision order was accepted by BT."

Cheers,

Canman.

ps new to forums what is the moderator profile etc?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Axolotl
Contributor
Message 39 of 120

Hi Canman,

I'm sorry, but since I left BT for Plusnet (I know, frying pans and fires and all that) over a year ago, I don't know what the current Ts and Cs actually say. Maybe someone with more up to date experience can comment on this?

Perhaps they were losing too many YouView boxes as people left? I wouldn't put it past BT to have changed the rules.

The business about contacting a moderator via their profile is just that everybody on the forum has a "profile" that you can get to by clicking on their name next to a post. Within the profile is contact information for that user. People switch how they can be contacted on and off, e.g. via PM (Private message) within the forum, or via a normal e-mail address outside the forum.

The moderators, who work for BT and are called "BT Community managers" have more powers to do stuff and have all their contact details set to "on", so you can PM them or e-mail them directly when there is a topic they've picked up on. That way they can get your account details etc. without you having to post them in public for everyone to see.

It might be better to start a new thread that describes your exact situation when you have the problem, so they can pick it up and deal with it. This thread seems to have got rather long and confused over time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Axolotl
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 120

Can man if you have had your box for 12 months it belongs to you. There us no question about that all. Just to correct a bit of misinformation you cannot a moderator by PM unless you are asked to do so.
If you have an I going issue that needs to be resolved can you state it all quite clearly here,

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings