cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

I can't see there is any room for confusion over who owns the box after the 12 month contract expires. My contract began in 2012 and clearly states "Keep you new service for 12 months from the date we accept your order and there's no charge for your kit - it's on us."

0 Ratings
Midnight_Voice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 120

Pollyanna, the box is your property from day 1.

What you might owe them for terminating the service within the 12 months is an entirely separate issue.

The BT letter is very clever though. It says you have to send back your BT Equipment. And I'm sure you do, if they have lent you any.

But the YouView box is not BT Equipment. It is *your* equipment!
0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 120

You are dead right.

The current (old) box was playing up to the point where they sent out an engineer who said he had instructions not to try and mend the fault but to replace the box as it was now out of date. I told him he could install another with pleasure, but he wasn't taking the old one away as it was mine and had all my (still watchable) recordings on it.

He refused to do this and when I phoned BT they told me I could not have a new box without giving up the old one.

According to my contract, that box has been mine since November 2013.

So he reset the old box and now it is playing up again.

I intend to write to BT and demand a new one. I'm not giving up the old one though. It's legally mine.

What do they think we are paying for?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 94 of 120

The old box is faulty and BT will replace
0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 95 of 120

That's not the point. They refuse to leave you with the old one - which is your property - and insist on taking it away with them.

They say the box I have is obsolete. It still has watchable recordings on the HD and I wanted them to leave it so I could watch these, and simply put the new box in as well. This they refused to do.

My contract clearly states that after 12 months I own the box. So why not leave it with me and install the new one?

Bear in mind we are not buying the boxes from BT. We are paying for a service, which includes the equipment necessary for use.  After the minimum contract period is up, we own the equipment.

If I was still within the initial 12 months I could not object to them removing the faulty box. But after that, the box is mine.  In order to continue with their service, they need to supply me with a new one. But they have no property rights over the old one anymore.

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 96 of 120

Why should they give you a new (possibly refurbished) box for free as well as letting you keep the faulty one?

0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 97 of 120

Stick to your guns Pollyanna !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 98 of 120

Sigh..because that box belongs to me.

If they count the box as obsolete, and unfit for use in their service (which I am paying for), then by their own choice they issue another.

The point is that they are legally not entitled to remove the old one from my property if I do not wish them to  - as I own it now.

Why should I let them remove MY box with all the viewable recordings on? I can still watch them, and that's why I've recorded them.

The box may be faulty but it's mine. NOT THEIRS.

They need to issue another as per their own practice and leave the one I now own in my possession. Simple as that.

0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 99 of 120

And it's not "for free" - I've been paying for this service since November 2012 and am still doing so.

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 100 of 120

Please show me where in the T & C it states they'll provide you with a new box at no charge.
They may, however, offer to swap your faulty box for a new working one, rather than charge you full price for a new box.

This 'obsolete' box - which model was it?
0 Ratings