Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

If you won't accept a replacement then you will just have to use the faulty one
0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 102 of 120

@Pollyanna wrote:

And it's not "for free" - I've been paying for this service since November 2012 and am still doing so.

You've been paying a monthly fee for the right to view and record the programmes they provide, not for the provision of the equipment to do so.

It's no different to a mobile phone contract where you get the phone free, provided you agree to a minimum term. That device has a warranty. However if it fails outside the warranty but inside minimum term, it's up to you to get it repaired/replaced at your own expense. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 103 of 120

@Pollyanna

You said you are not buying the box from BT but after 12 months it becomes your property. That is not exactly the way it works.

If you read the terms and conditions it states that you own the box from day 1 and there is a cost for it but they defer payment for 12 months. After 12 months they go further and waive the deferred payment. So you could say you are buying the box from BT but they generously defer, then waive the cost. They do it like that so they can charge you an amount for it if you cancel the contract early before completing the contract minimum term.

They offered to replace (swap) your box for free, but you declined. You could get it repaired yourself at your own cost if you so wish. Most customers would jump at the chance of getting a newer, better replacement model for free! 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 104 of 120

BT aren't saying that older model is no longer fit for purpose. Lots of customers are still using the older model.

By 'obsolete' the engineer meant they no longer swap like-for-like. They now only issue the newer model, either to new customers or as replacements for faulty boxes.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 105 of 120

I don't believe for a moment that most customers would jump at the chance of losing all the recordings they have made. The engineer who came yesterday told me that a customer (a retired BT engineer himself) had refused to let him take his faulty box the previous week. This was because he was adamant that he owned said box. If BT regarded it as obsolete and not fit for purpose, they should provide another.

I believe now that there are different types of YouView box but when I got mine it was the standard hard drive recordring box.

The information I was given at that time (and still have) is quite unequivocal. It stated that I could keep the equipment provided as long as I was in contract for 12 months. If I cancelled withint the 12 months, the info states that if I did not return the kit, I "might have to pay our (ie BT's) costs to get it back". It may well be that I owned it from day one (though BT seem to want to suggest otherwise), but the fact that I own it now is pretty definite.

If the old box is no longer fit for purpose then legally BT need to provide a replacement so that I can access the service I am paying for. But they have no right to require the original box back as it is no longer their property. 

It's simple enough. BTshould provide a new box that is fit for purpose but leave me to watch the recordings I've made on the obsolete one that is now mine.  I've paid for the blasted thing multiple times over after all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 106 of 120

Well I can only suggest that you read the terms and conditions. I would suggest that legally that is what you agreed to. I don't know where you get the idea that BT legally must provide you with another box to watch the service on. If you were a Virgin Media customer then the terms are different as you would never own a box, but you are a BT TV customer.

You can give notice to stop paying for the service if you don't have the equipment to receive it on. BT aren't forcing you to subscribe.

Good luck arguing your case. You might get lucky and get an additional box if someone at BT is feeling generous. However they seem to have made their position clear so far.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 107 of 120

This is going nowhere.

There is a simple solution.

it is one I used when BT wouldn't let me downgrade the package I was on. I cancelled the service. On the day it ceased I ordered the service again at the kevel I wanted. Result a brand new box and new contract, I still have the other completely functional box here and working,

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 108 of 120

Pragmatic !

0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 109 of 120

Mine is being cancelled in the very near future and I may well not bother to renew.The hassle every time it goes wrong is just too stressful.

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 110 of 120

I would suggest you switch to Virgin (the only provider who 'rent' you the equipment and so will maintain it for the life of your subscription) .

Sky, like BT only warranty the box for 12 months - beyond that any repairs are chargeable and you can't do the cancel/rejoin trick to get a new box. You're only a new customer to Sky if there's been a 12 month break.
0 Ratings