Message 111 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

Cannot see any hassle at all, BT have offered a replacement which you declined
0 Ratings
Keith75
Aspiring Expert
Message 112 of 120

This is getting boring, two threads being told the same thing by the same people. Get a grip.
0 Ratings
Midnight_Voice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 113 of 120

Pollyanna, if you had a TV from John Lewis, say, and it went faulty, and they offered to replace it, would you even dream of trying to hang on to the old one as well?

Even though it was as unequivocally your property as this BT YouView box is?

Watch your recordings - as the real issue here is the long-standing beef that there is no way to back up or preserve the recordings you have made on a faulty YouView box - and graciously accept the replacement, a newer and improved model which BT have generously offered you, and which will be as much your property going forward as the old one was.

Frankly, what you are trying to do here with BT is the sort of thing that gives our efforts to get BT to recognise where ownership lies a bad name 😞

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 114 of 120

I can see pollyanna's point of view. Technology advances at a fast rate. When your mobile contract is up, you can get a cheap deal sim free or get a shiny new phone at around the same price you were paying for the last 24 months. Why can't we get a new home hub or youview box when our fixed contract comes to an end? Some people still have the youview 1000 box when the 2100 box is available which is 100 times better. Some people are stuck with a home hub 3, a slow Sky+ box, old virgin media box etc. Would you still have an iPhone 4 from 2010 on a £40 per month contract and still be paying it? My guess is, probably some people will have, but most savvy people will have upgraded. 

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 115 of 120

@davgille7 wrote:

Why can't we get a new home hub or youview box when our fixed contract comes to an end? Some people still have the youview 1000 box when the 2100 box is available which is 100 times better. Some people are stuck with a home hub 3, a slow Sky+ box, old virgin media box etc. 

Cost would be a major factor I guess. If everybody who renewed their contract received brand new equipment then I could see monthly subscriptions more than doubling to cover the increased outlay. As has often been said "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

jam2000
Expert
Message 116 of 120

Also think about all the wasted perfectly good electronic items that would just be thrown away. Not exactly green, if its working all ok then why throw it away with a new product. Not exactly being green either, especially considering the planets limited resources.

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 117 of 120

Got to laugh at all this 'being green' etc. China is building one coal-fired power plant every 7 days. Japan is not far behind with over 40 of them being built. 1 coal-fired plant is the equivalent of 1 year of pollution from all the cars in the uk put together. 

olgitnorm
Contributor
Message 118 of 120

davgille7 you do seem prone to exaggeration, only one person has mentioned anything about "being green" and as someone who still has the 1000 box which has never missed a recording, has never suffered any error codes, receives BT sports HD and sky sports HD with no pixelation, and doesn't get at all hot I cannot see how the newer boxes which may run quicker can be described as 100 times better!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 119 of 120

I agree that cost will be the main factor, though as a big corporation they will have probably also agreed to certain green/re-cycling commitments in line with government initiatives as well. Things like making sure a box is designed to last a good few years (though they only give a 1 year warranty I notice!) and if faulty then re-furbish or re-cycle them.

A new customer can sign up to just TV Essential and still get a G4 Youview+ box. Over the first 12 months they might be paying just £60 (£5 per month) and possibly an initial activation fee depending on the deal. BT originally stated the value of the first BT Youview+ boxes as £299, then dropped it to £249, and now I believe state £199. So they have it seems managed to drop manufacturing costs but it could still take a customer a fair while to cover even the lower wholesale cost BT pay for the box. There is of course also the TV content to pay for as well. Don't forget about that pesky couple of billion pounds they spent on a few year's sports TV rights. Smiley LOL

The deals to get the very latest model mobile phones are usually pretty expensive per month and require at least a 24 month minimum term. BT could offer customers a new box say every 24 months on longer minimum terms, but we would probably have to be paying more like £30/£40 per month to cover the additional box cost and the content!  Also the govt might frown upon this 'short life, throw away' attitude to consumer electronics.

That's why I said earlier that many customers would jump at the chance to get a free newer G4 replacement box on no new contract as the earlier poster was offered by the engineer.

Some of us are still on old 2010 BT TV technology. I'm still using a 2010 model black BT Vision+ box. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 120 of 120

@davgille7 wrote:

Some people are stuck with a home hub 3, ... 

You can get a greatly reduced price HomeHub 4/5 if you want one. (BT don't seem to worry about swamping the UK with HomeHubs!)

See  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35097/~/how-can-i-get-a-new-bt-home-hub%3F

There is an inconsistency that they don't generally seem to offer something similar for BT TV boxes. There are different situations though. For example if I moved from BT Vision to BT Youview when re-contracting I could now get a G4 box just for the activation fee. 

0 Ratings