cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alandtfryer
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Do broadband extenders interfere with nearby equipment?

I installed my BT TV a few days ago, to add to my BT broadband and phone. I have a main box (recordable) in the sitting room, and a second box (non-recordable) in the bedroom. Both are linked to my BT hub via broadband extenders (Broadband Extender 600).

It all works, although I wasn't too impressed that the extenders don't have the pass-thru mains sockets on the back shown in all the pictures on the website, or that the extra one came with no instructions so I had to search on the Web to find out how to link it.

But when I turned the extender in the bedroom on, the FM radio plugged in further along the wall developed a hiss. I'm sure the extender is the cause because when I turned it off the hiss stopped. Is there anything I can do about this?

Also, I have a pair of wireless (radio frequency) headphones plugged into my TV. They worked fine when I had Sky TV, connected to the hub via wi-fi. After I installed BT TV, the status light on the headphones refused to change from “charging” to “ready”. They were plugged into the same double mains socket as the extender. I then moved them well away from the TV area, plugged them into a different set of sockets, and they worked. I tried exactly the same with another identical pair, and the same happened.

Is it a recognised problem that these extenders interfere with nearby equipment?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
monarchjock
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Do broadband extenders interfere with nearby equipment?

Powerline adaptors are the bain of Ham radio. Listening on shortwave can be difficult when it is picked up. But then most users are probably ignorant of that and as the internet is massive compared to Ham radio not much is done about it. Check out ban-plt.org.uk.
0 Ratings
alandtfryer
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Do broadband extenders interfere with nearby equipment?

Thank you monarchjock for your reply.

The interference I'm getting is a steady background hiss, a pity but it doesn't make the radio unusable. It's nothing like the clips on that website. But I'll ask my neighbours if they have had any problems since I installed the new system.

I used to have my house threaded with Ethernet cables for our computers, but took them all down once wi-fi became established. I guess I could put some up again.

I'm surprised BT don't offer a wi-fi method for connecting TV boxes to the router.

0 Ratings